Chapter 5

"Can I get you something to eat?"

Charlotte's eyes fluttered as she turned, her attention split. The barista from the morning had a small menu in his hand. She felt extremely absentminded.

"I guess so. Wow, is it already dinner time?"

"Yeah. .have a big day at DIA?"

Her mouth pursed. She noticed an internal tightening in her gut at the words. How had this man guessed where she was going today?

"Don't worry, I only guessed because you were looking at the map this morning." He said, setting the menu down. "The DIA map."

Suddenly her mind hitched. The buses! He'd told her to watch for the buses!

"Crap! I'm sorry. You warned me to look into the buses."

The barista bent down and whispered, "careful. . you're being watched. Keep that close to your chest."

Then he stood again and smiled.

"Our flat breads are delicious. I wouldn't try the salads though. They aren't rinsed very thoroughly."

Charlotte nodded and looked up at the man. He appeared to be around her age, with dark hair and light brown eyes. He had tattoos on one of his arms.

"I'll take whichever one you like best."

He smiled again and took the menu, turning to head back to the kitchen. His words should have scared her, but his demeanor was so calm and kind. Whatever was going on at the airport, she had no doubts it was connected to the supposed New World Order. Was it Illuminati? Or Freemasons? She had to come up with a working theory, and soon. Her podcast was set to debut tomorrow night.

Sighing, she looked around discreetly. Which one of the other patrons was following her? It had happened many times before, in other countries. There were a few couples ordering but deep in conversations. None looked her way. Then there was an older woman sitting alone, rifling through a gossip magazine. She glanced up at Charlotte. Their eyes met for a split second. It's her. . she thought. The woman appeared rattled and picked up her purse, to take something out.

Satisfied she'd made the tail; Charlotte took out her phone and opened the notes. 'New world order' was in bold. Underneath the words she had the artwork, gargoyles and time capsule. They were merely breadcrumbs though. A warning if you will, for what was going on. She typed in 'why' and listed some reasons. Money/financial control, worldly assets and ultimate power. These seemed obvious. Most people would agree that a new world order entity would strive to possess each thing. But how.

"Here you go. Hope you like, it's my personal favorite."

The barista set a warm plate on the table. It smelled wonderful, enticing her appetite to come out.

"Thank you. This looks good. I'm sorry I didn't get your name this morning. ."

"Josh. Josh Diaz."

He smiled warmly, further solidifying in Charlotte's mind that he meant no harm.

"Very nice to meet you Josh, I'm Charlotte Loche." She said. "And thank you for your help."

She mouthed the last part. Josh nodded and glanced at the older woman leafing through the magazine. Charlotte noticed and gave a tiny return nod. He grinned, cocked an eyebrow and left her to the food. Whoever he was, he was a bit more than just an innocent barista. Which, she'd also run into before. Long ago, in Egypt.

She ate her food with a measured zeal not unlike she had at lunch earlier, though it was nice to eat in this cafe. Away from the airport. Zach had been a nice enough tour guide, but he was hiding things. Charlotte had zero doubts of that. She wondered if he was married or single. He wore no ring. If single, he could be devoted to a bigger cause.