Chapter 29

"I have powers...."

Her voice drug out the words, a shock of disbelief in each syllable. Josh left after a short explanation with a promise to divulge more the next day. He had to leave but wouldn't tell her why.

"I can attract. Attract. I have never been that type of a person. Ever."

Sitting on the edge of her hotel bed, Charlotte exhaled, looking up at the ceiling.

"Liam doesn't actually like me then, and neither does Zach. Shit. Does that mean Marcus never did either?"

The thought pitted in her stomach, making her feel ill. It would explain a lot of things, if true. She remembered Egypt and their night together, then what came afterwards. Paris, London, Greece. They grew so much closer in such a short amount of time. And it all began in Egypt, after visiting the Temple of Seti. Abydos had a feeling to it, one that she could never place at the time. But now, she knew it was the stones, calling to her.

Flopping back onto the bed, she closed her eyes and let her hands rest on the silk of her chemise tank top. Charlotte was exhausted. The day had been long and arduous, as well as full of answers and more questions.

"Marcus.." she breathed, before falling into a deep sleep.

In the room adjoining hers, Liam leaned his forehead against the wall in frustration. This wasn't what was supposed to happen. Not at all, not even close. He hid his fury well, knowing he couldn't do anything about it. He was ordered to leave the Rosi's alone. None of the Rosicrucian's could be touched, by anyone in their organization. He didn't have to like it, but he had to follow the orders.

"She's wrong. She doesn't even know."

What Josh failed to tell Charlotte was what she really needed to hear. Her powers had more depth than casting attraction upon men, they had the ability to alter actions. In ways Liam still needed to research. Seti, the powerful Pharoh that also awakened the stones in his time, had harnessed these powers. And like Charlotte, was once perplexed by them. Not much was written except that which had to be safeguarded.

By the fucking Rosicrucian's no less.

Sucking in a breath then exhaling, Liam grunted. He would need to talk to Josh, face to face. Which he really didn't want to do.

"This is too important. Shit."

He listened again at the wall, glancing at the computer screen to validate what he was hearing. Charlotte was asleep. Satisfied, he picked up his cell and dialed a number.

"Hello?" a voice asked.

"Josh. You told her a half truth. What was the point of that?" he asked angrily.

"Liam. I figured you were listening. Why stand by the wall when you can hear perfectly well with all the listening devices you planted in her room?"

Liam's temper flared at the insinuation. He knew what Josh was hinting at.

"She might attract me, but I would already have been attracted you fuck."

"No need to call names Liam. You could crush me if you wanted to, and you know it. I am only assigned to her because.."

"Because you are the best one for the job. I know. And they knew it too, that's why they sent you to Egypt when she woke the stones. Did you tell her that? No, you didn't. And you can't."

Silence on the line made the men retreat into their own positions. Neither wanting to give in to the other. Liam though, knew he had a time sensitive mission, and it was starting to wear on him.