The Audience sees events unfold; we near an end

Shinning even in the darkest of nights, praying even in the most dangerous of times, laid there, simple and unique: The temple.
The view had been eight hours ago. The sun was high bright up in the sky, surrounded by grey formless clouds with the air of rain. The fresh air and the tall grasses smell surrounded their noses and huge mountains running along with green grasslands were coming in view. The place from where they had seen the temple was high up, making the view visible; not this. They weren't able to make out the temple yet. They had also decided to call it a day yesterday. As the place they were in wasn't an exit, they had to work all night to clear the way. Some rested and some worked, some did both; and so the soldiers were a little tired. There was only one rest planned ahead: lunch. After that whatever the situation, no rest till they reach the place.

Moving in a defensive formation, they had travelled half the day since the sun had risen. Cliff had positioned himself behind, one of the most important positions, and was deep in thinking.
'The leopard attack first lost us three men. O Lord, rest their souls, for they were warriors.
After that, the stupid act of Ben. Stupid, thinking himself as a hero and why in the name of heaven did he took Raju! Does he know? My Lord, may he not. May he, or anyone, never know. If they do, their death will be on me and their blood will be in my hands then... That is not what I look forward to.
Then the spectators from last night. I know Raju recognized them, I just know. Oh god why are you testing me... One more reason and he will... have to die.'

The evening was closing in, the sun melting behind the huge mountains, its last rays of light falling ahead them, lighting the path while they can.
"George," Raju whispered.
"Yes?"
"Do you..., feel pain? Knowing of Ben?" Raju voice's still in whispers.
"His death? Yeah, I do. I'll grieve after the war. He died a soldiers death. Just make his sacrifise worth it." George said, with a smile.
"Raju?"
"Yes."
"You look confused, is there a problem?" George asked.
The burden of the secret heaving in Raju's chest, he wanted to lighten it up; spread it out. "No problem, sorry." He said. He cannot say it, he knew; he regretted. His mission was clear; lead the Britishers towards the treasure, and then get the eternal reward he was promised.

'But, so, I would say that Ben's and every man's death from now, is in your hands Raju! Your little innocent hands, whose owner cannot do something good in the face of his duty. You are trading the goodness in you for the greed, Raju.'
'It's no greed!'
'You know it is, a little part is. Nothing can stop you, but at least let the words be out on the battlefield. Say to George, for he deserves the answers. He deserves the last words more than you do.'
'This is stupid.'
"George." Raju found himself saying the words, with eyes closed and head hung low.
"Raju."
"I have to tell you something." Straight and fast.
"Yes?"
And told he did, everything he knew and remembered. It felt like torture, but the feeling of something escaping your body.
"George, you promised me you will not tell anyone!" Raju said, worried. George was taken back by the things said, and his face suggested that he was calculating something; making some plan. Raju knew he was wrong, wrong to tell. 'Fucking can't wait till we have reached the temple too! I am an idiot!'
"George, you promised me." Raju reminded as George looked at him, took a deep breath and said, "I promise Raju. I won't let anything happen to you or my soldiers."

The sun disappeared and the torches took its place. They all sat in a circle, with four soldiers out for lookout; their final rest.
"Cliff." George asked as he stepped up and went towards Cliff, handing out a plate filled with food to him.
"Thank You George. And hey, we have to discuss about the plan. What we will do –"
"Why are you so worked up?"
There was silence.
"I have a treasure to find."
"It's something else."
"You tell me. You have known me since Calcutta-"
"You look afraid..." As the words escaped George's mouth, Cliff stopped still.
"You have to tell me Cliff. I know it. About everything I know you doubt Ben to know. What is it you are hiding, Captain?"
Cliff didn't say anything but just turned his gaze towards his group.
"You have to Cliff!" George said as he held Cliff's arms tightly.
"Okay... follow me." Cliff said as he went towards the trees, and inside the dim forest. George looked back once and then followed Cliff.
"Cliff?" He said out loud, trying to remove the thick thorns which kept coming in front of him, "Cliff?"
"Over here." Said Cliff's voice from up ahead.
"Why here? They wouldn't have heard us there..."
"Yes. But they definitely would have saw us."
"You can't hurt me-" Eyes began closing as George's body kept falling back on Cliff, as Cliff removed his knife out of George's mouth and the other hand out of his chest as he slowly laid down George on the ground. Blood pumping out of his chest and his eyes looking straight at Cliff...
Cliff felt himself throwing his knife down on the ground and bend down, leaning on the tree with his eyes still on George's eyes, which seemed to be following him.
He pressed his eyes against his palm and bend his head down between his knees. He let go and found himself looking up, towards the trees. He felt suffocated by all this.
BAAM!
BAAM!
BAAM! The third slap made him crawl down into the ground and he punched and punched the group of leaves beneath him, painted in red blood of his old mate.

But he had to do this, he said to himself.