Barbecue for the Dead

"I feel... betrayed," said the son of Asclepius as he decorated the ranch house porch.

It had been twenty or so minutes since they left Percy, and no one had spoken since. 

"Ahh, don't feel so bad buddy, it's not personal. It's just business." 

"No, it's you being a monster," said Annabeth, her voice muffled by a make-shift gag.

Tyson, Grover, Annabeth, and Nico had all been tossed in a corner, tied up like rodeo animals, with their ankles and wrists roped together and their mouths gagged. Over on the other side, Geryon was cooking up a barbecue, one that smelled delicious at that. Eurytion picked at his nails with a knife so big it would have looked like a sword on Elara.

"Y'know Geryon, I could pay you for these kids instead of you selling them. Whatever the price."

"Tsk, I'm afraid I can't do that buddy. This deal I got going, it aint just about money. I'm securing my place in the future."

(Y/N) furrowed his eyebrows. Securing a place in the new world... "You're selling them to Luke, aren't you? You want an alliance."

"What's it to you? You and your camp got plenty demi-gods, you'll hardly miss a couple. Hey, I'll cut you in on the pay if you want."

He tightened his hand into a fist around a balloon he was blowing up, the thing popping. Geryon continued working the grill.

"They're not objects, they're people."

Geryon turned around to face the physician.

"You've always had a soft spot for demi-gods, haven't you. Some may consider it a weakness."

The son of Asclepius grumbled under his breath. Elara, who was previously sitting with Eurytion and playing with Orthus, came over to his side and began to help set up bunting.

"Besides, you should be thanking me, providing safe passage and all that, you should hear the price on your head (Y/N)."

"I shouldn't have to thank you for not selling me into slavery," was (Y/N)s response, "besides, I'd like to see you try."

"Oh you would? Well perhaps I can provide you with a demonstration..."

"Let them go!" yelled a voice, panting.

"Did you, now? How'd you manage it?" 

"Water from shells in the ground."

It seemed pretty oversimplified, but there was probably more explanation Percy hadn't explained. Geryon however simply nodded appreciatively. 

"Very ingenious. It would've been better if you'd poisoned that pesky naiad, but no matter." 

"Let my friends go," Percy said. "We had a deal." 

"Ah, I've been thinking about that. The problem is, if I let them go, I don't get paid." 

"You promised!" 

Geryon made a tsk-tsk noise. "But did you make me swear on the River Styx? No you didn't. So it's not binding. When you're conducting business,sonny, you should always get a binding oath." 

In response, Jackson drew Riptide. Orthus growled. One head leaned down next to Grover's ear and bared its fangs. 

"Eurytion," Geryon said, "the boy is starting to annoy me. Kill him." 

"Kill him yourself," Eurytion said. Geryon raised his eyebrows, and so did (Y/N). Not many children of Ares would turn down a fight. 

"Excuse me?"