Chapter 28 - And suddenly, we were strangers again.

Gabriela Senna's POV:

"Mi amor, are you sure you don't want something more grand?" Carlos's voice held a hint of concern as he glanced at me.

I smiled, shaking my head gently. "No, no. A simple ceremony in the garden of our house in São Paulo, just us, our family, and close friends," I reiterated, my heart set on the intimacy of the occasion.

"Okay, then. We'll fly to São Paulo after the US GP in Austin," Carlos replied, his tone warm and reassuring.

"Yep, that's perfect," I affirmed, feeling a sense of relief wash over me.

I didn't crave extravagance or attention; all I desired was a sincere celebration of our love, shared with those nearest and dearest to us. The thought of a small, intimate wedding filled me with a sense of joy and contentment.

In the days leading up to my departure for the US GP, my schedule was packed with a flurry of activity. Wrapping up projects, and meeting with clients for the last time before the holiday season—there was so much to do. I was gonna be on holiday until the first week of next year. After our wedding, there was the Abu Dhabi GP, our honeymoon, Christmas and finally New Year. The following weeks were full of activity and rush. 

I found myself immersed in wedding plans, liaising with our wedding planner to ensure every detail was just right. Carlos's absence from most of the meetings didn't go unnoticed, but his presence at the cake tasting brought a smile to my face. His support meant everything to me, even in the midst of his own busy schedule. Yet, one decision continued to elude us: the choice of our first dance song. We tossed around ideas, searching for the perfect melody to capture the essence of our love, but nothing quite felt right. It was a minor detail, but one we wanted to get just perfect for our special day.

1st of November:

As I strolled through the bustling paddock, the familiar sound of a voice pierced through the air. It was Christopher Hunter Livingston, a blast from the past that I had long tried to forget.

"Gaby, can we talk? Somewhere private?" His tone was pleading, desperate.

"No," I replied tersely, my guard instantly rising at the sound of his voice.

"Please, just five minutes. I need to explain," he persisted, his voice barely above a whisper.

"After nine years? No, Christopher. Keep it to yourself," I retorted, my tone laced with bitterness.

He chuckled, attempting to diffuse the tension. "You're calling me 'Christopher' like the first day of school."

"Yeah, because we were strangers then, and we're strangers now. Call me Gabriela. Only my friends can call me Gaby," I snapped, my patience wearing thin. And suddenly, we were strangers again.

"Please, we need to talk. I know I can't undo anything, but I want my friend back," he pleaded, his eyes pleading for forgiveness.

"Everyone is gonna look at us if we keep having this conversation in the middle of the paddock. So, that is the only reason, I am accepting to have a talk with you somewhere private."

"Okay, where can we go?"

"Come with me," I said and took him to Carlos' driver's room. It was obviously gonna be big problem if people saw us but I had no other choice. Also, the team is at the garage for the practice session. So, there was no one around. I closed the door.

"So, Christopher! You left me, James, Lily, and Sarah behind. This is kinda understandable to some extent. Why the fuck did you leave your own mother behind? The woman who gave birth to you. The woman who gave all of her love and everything to you. She dedicated her life to you. She poured her heart and soul into raising you. Where were you when your mom was in the fucking hospital for a whole month?" My voice gradually got louder as I reached the end of my sentences.