Chapter 40- Heart's Calling

Nidha's POV:

It had been a couple of weeks since my encounter with Vyom, I had done everything in my power to avoid seeing him around the apartment. 

Every time we ran into each other, my heart raced like crazy, I broke out into sweats and my brain fogged up. I couldn't keep slipping up like that, I needed to move on, and focus on my career and future.

A future without him. 

I felt a wet gush of liquid onto my hands as the bottle of iodine fell over. My thoughts had once again taken me away from my current task and busied my mind. 

Quickly, I cleaned up the spilled iodine and finished disinfecting and stitching up the patient's wound. 

Busying myself at work was the best way to avoid my problems. Thankfully, I got a job in the Emergency Room at City Hospital, the most happening and adrenaline-filled section of any hospital. 

My days were packed, with unexpected patients with crazy backstories. The rush helped my brain stay clear and focus on only treating my patients without thoughts of other unimportant people. 

Another pager rang in the center table of the emergency room, where the nurses and desk workers sat. 

"Dr Nidha! A male patient coming in, assumed to be in his 30's. A car accident victim, he is unconscious and there seems to be a broken ligament around his calf." A nurse calls out to me from the desk. 

I dispose of my gloves and put on a fresh pair. "Got it, page trauma and get a CT scan ordered as well as an X-ray, and prep room 3 for the patient." 

The nurse gives me a nod, indicating she heard me, and picks up the phone again to follow through. I take a cart, make my way to the supply room, and load up my cart with any instruments that might be needed during this patient evaluation. 

I take my cart to the room, as the nurses are transporting the patient onto the bed. 

"Hi, I'm Dr. Nidha, I will be assessing you toda-" My words form a golf ball in my throat as I enter the room. 

There's blood flowing from an open wound on his forehead, while his leg has gone limp and swollen from a fracture. He's lying lifelessly, just a pile of mass on the emergency room bed and I can't do anything except look on, frozen in terror.

"Dr Nidha! Dr. Nidha!" A pair of hands on my shoulders try to bring me back into reality. 

"Nidha!" From behind me, a senior doctor enters the room putting on her gloves. " Dr. are you unwell to help this patient?" She asks sternly. 

My eyes immediately pool and I can hear my heartbeat in my temples. The best I can do is shake my head no. 

"And give me one good reason, as to why you can't do your job?" She questions me as she cuts up his clothing with scissors, opening up the view to his bruised and battered chest. 

My breath hitches and all of a sudden my mouth starts to feel very dry. "I-" I try to speak but the words come out shakey, as if I will cry. "He's-" I try again but it is no use. 

"Give me one good reason to not fire you Dr. Nidha!" Her voice rings the whole room. 

"HE'S MY HUSBAND!" The words flew out of my mouth as the tears broke through my eyes. At that moment, my heart stopped, every medical instinct giving way to the raw flood of emotions as I realized that this time, it was personal. 

All the nurses turned to look my way, in horror, their faces indicated the severity of the accident. 

"Okay, then you can stay in the room as family or leave, you are not allowed to work on this patient." She continues cleaning up Vyom's wounds. 

Seeing Vyom so lifeless and pale, my heart shattered. My cleared mind was suddenly filled with chaos. Our good moments together, our falling out, that kiss we shared, everything came back one by one, as I saw him getting cut, stitched, and plastered all in front of me. 

Although my mind was scattered, my eyes focused solely on his EKG machine. I followed his heart rate and pressure making sure there was no fault. I stared persistently, because if I looked away, what if something went wrong? 

Some time passed as the doctors and nurses continued their work. I stayed still in my corner, fearful to even move an inch. Most of the voices in the room were random buzzes but I caught on to one of the nurses. 

"Dr! His head wound opened up again!" 

The senior doctor looked up imminently and switched from stitching up Vyom's side to his head. "Get more gauze! Prescribe a hemostatic shot immediately, the clothing will help stop the blood, he can't lose anymore" 

There was shuffling around the room. His blood pressure instantly dropped to dangerously low levels and his heart rate became irregular. Almost as if out of instinct, my feet carried me to his side as I dropped to the floor beside him. 

His hand felt so fragile in mine, his fingers growing cold with each passing moment. I watched in silent agony as the monitors screamed their warnings. With every drop of blood, it was as if my own heart bled alongside him, the fear gripping me tighter with each beat. 

With each beep of the EKG, I felt my grip on Vyom getting weaker, as if I was fighting for him with the other side. The commotion around me continued, everyone, hurrying to stop the bleeding. 

"Vyom....." For the first time in a long time, I called out his name. "Please, please you can't leave me!" Tears streamed down my face, unstoppable and raw, they burned my face with each drop. 

As everyone continued, I tightened my grip on him. 

"You know, It would be easier to forget you," I say, looking down at his face. "And with the past few years, it would be easier if I could hate you. But the sad truth is, I will more than likely love you for the rest of my life." I place a gentle kiss on the back of his hand. 

"I love you," I repeat, in case he didn't hear it. "and it took me a while to get here, but I think that maybe I've always loved you. But you wanna know the other thing that I know for sure? Besides the fact that I love you?" I wait, expecting a response from him. 

"I'm always going to love you," I rest my warm palm on his chilly face. "No matter what." 

Precap: Will Vyom make it?

 That confession 💙

What do you think will happen next??

I plan on wrapping up this story in the next few days! Maybe write a short one on DJ and Shraddha (+Jaira). Would you guys like that?

I hope you guys enjoyed it! Please vote and leave your comments throughout the chapter!

-💙