Chapter Sixteen

Leafbare had begun.

The wind was strong enough to blow the strongest cat off of his paws, Cowspot was in the very back of the warriors den, she had just left the medicine den a quarter moon ago and now it's a blizzard.

"Great Starclan...." She watched the snow plummet by, causing the fresh kill pile to plummet to the ground. "All of our prey is gonna become crow food...!"

Scartail, a senior warrior hissed from the very corner of the den, laying by LilacShine. "And so are you if you don't shut your maw and go to sleep! Are you still an apprentice?"

Cowspot grumbled, and shifted her paws in embarrassment, she bit back a sharp retort before laying next to the already sleeping RavenFeather, Swiftstrike, and Hollypounce.

She had tried to sleep, but it was almost sunhigh, and she couldn't stop moving around, making the warriors grumble and hiss in their sleep.

She stood up, and took a short and hesitant pawstep to the snowy ground. She was headed to the forest, to hunt, it would be easy, most mice were in their tiny built in dens.

She padded over to the thorn tunnel, before hearing voices from below the Streamrock. "Risingstar...and... Tumblefoot!"

She carefully walked over to the side of the entrance, being as still as to not to breathe to heavy, and firmly pressing against the cold stone.

".....kill him. He could kill more warriors, and we will have to announce the death of her at sunhigh."

She shook her tail in question. Who died!?

She ran into the warriors den, and flicked her tail, she would wait now for any sign of Risingstar calling a meeting. But she was panicking.

Who died, and who killed that cat?

She didn't know, she was very confused. She decided to look around the den, trying to notice if anyone was missing.

Tawnytail wasn't curled into the nest, it was everyone but her, she started to panic, but then remembered she was transferred to the nursery less than a moon ago.

She calmed down, and decided to have a look in the nursery, she padded over to the nursery, and the recent queens where there, but one in the very back, yowling in fright, a sense of grief washed over her pelt.

It was Tawnytail, her fur was bristled, her eyes were wide, her first litter,one of her curious little kits, had died. He had been slaughtered, by some strange cat.

And by the sound of it.

That cat.

Was her father.

                                              ★★★

Yowls of grief, as Risingstar looked down at the clan after making the announcement.

Cowspot felt hot with shame, "I shouldn't be kin to this cat., She meowed to herself. She approached Tawnytail, while others were comforting her around her kits.

She felt sympathy for the cat, she was shaking. Cowspot rested her tail on the queens shoulder and walked away.

She caught up to Hollypounce, Swiftstrike, and RavenFeather, but passed them and sat down in her den, clawing at the frosty grass.

Hollypounce looked at her and sighed "this wasn't your fault, you know that righ-" Cowspot interrupted her, leaping to her paws.

"I'm going to go find, and kill him, he doesn't deserve to live, killing helpless kits, and queens."

Hollypounce shook her head, "if your going then in coming with you, your father is strong, your father is very, very strong."

Swiftstrike sat in the back "you Mousebrain. Your going to get killed! By her father! I'm not letting you go and get killed, if she wants to, that's her problem!"

Hollypounce shook her head and hissed, "I'm going with her, Swiftstrike. Weather you like it or not, she is like my kin, her father is something that I won't leave her for. For his actions."

Swiftstrike looked guilty, as he pawed the ground in hot embarrassment. "Fine. You go. But don't cry in the medicine den when your injured." He spat, aggressive tail flicks following after.

RavenFeather was sitting there, and looked at her "are you guys going now, in coming with you."

Cowspot nodded and trotted out of the den, and through the thorn tunnel, seeing the Sunhigh patrol leave.

With swift and calculated pawsteps she was walking towards a kit scent trail. It was faint, but she could tell it came from last night, she also picked up on a blood scent.

Then she spotted a bloody path, walking forward she saw a blood patch, not to much, but enough for a kits throat to be torn out.

"They were so little.." she gasped, choking back grief. RavenFeather placed his tail on her shoulder, and mewed "it's okay, it'll be over soon."

A shattering screech pierced the air and a new scent of blood wafted into the area.

A cats hurt!!