chapter five

Light poured over CowPaws fur and she felt warm and comfortable not wanting to awake. She placed her head onto the warm moss of her nest wiping her paws over her eyes.

She slowly stood to her paws and looked around the apprentices den. She saw that RavenPaw was already gone.

She padded out half asleep looking around until she heard angry hissing. She leaped out of the den and saw Lightfern sitting by the leader.

The leader hissed "you killed TallKit!?" she unsheathed her claws yowling in anger. Lightfern looked at her with no remorse "he was the son of a traitor!!"

RisingStar looked at lighfern anger blazing in her amber eyes. She growled "you are not to kill kits! You are exiled! Leave or be killed!"

Cowpaw stood in shock Lighfern killed a kit, but Lightfern was one of her favorite soon to be elders. She wrapped her tail around herself in fear.

'please' she thought 'please Lightfern please don't get your self executed...StarClan help her'

She looked back up and realized her thoughts had interrupted. "I will not leave my clan to be a rogue I did what was right!"

RisingStar growled in unsympathetic anger "And I will do what is right for the sake of the clan!" Cowpaw placed her ears down eyes wide in shock .

'starclan help her!' she thought almost saying out loud. As RisingStar crouches then leaping on top of Lightfern.

Lightfern spat clawing through Risingstar's long fur. She hissed in agony as RisingStar slashed her stomach. As she looked up at RisingStar she yowled just before RisingStar bit through her throat "My kits!"

Cowpaw felt her heart drop to her paws. She was in shock she didn't know she had kits. she watched from the den as her father slashed her throat once again. Lightfern head laid on the ground her eyes looked as if they were boring into her.

She ran towards Lightfern as violent spasms ran through her. She felt sadness well up in her and she wanted to yowled in grief but was to shocked.

RisingStar looked at her and meowed stuttering "CowPaw I didn't know you were-" CowPaw stood up grabbing Lightferns scruff and in a struggle walking out of the camp. She knew that no warrior would try to stop her.

After a long struggle she layed Lighfern by the river and sat by her with her little kits. She looked up at the morning sky. Her pelt bristling in anger she hated RisingStar. Licking the two little kits she buried LightFern near the river then stood up.

Bending down she grabbed the kits and walked to the camp. As she walked in she ignored the looks of question and slashed her claws at them when BadgerClaw and RisingStar. Tried to comfort her.

She had no more respect for them and took the kits to the nursery and looked at the queen's "please one of you nurse them." She met the gaze of Lightferns sister and she looked at her.

"I will" she answered glaring at the queen's. "I will name them Lightkit and FernKit, in honor of there mother." Cowpaws respect grew for the queen and she placed her tail on her shoulder and walked out staring at her paws.

RavenPaw looked at her and rubbed his pelt against hers. And whispered "she is with starclan no matter what RisingStar says."he looked to the sky and then down. They walked into the apprentice den.

RavenPaw placed a vole by her and he sat with a vole as well. The sunlight was streaming on her fur and she took a bigger bite of the vole looking down and not making eye contact with the apprentices .

She felt her tail slashing and she picked up her vole and stood up "would you just leave me alone!?" She walked out and walked to the far side of the camp sitting there and eating her vole in complete and utter silence. She couldn't believe what had happened.

As she watched BadgerClaw sitting with RisingStar and she unsheathed her claws wanting to claw there fur though she knew it was a bad idea.

She yowled stood up shaking her fur and padding her way through the bracken and walking to the large stream she had visited as a kit and placed a paw inside the cold didn't hit her as hard as it did when she was a kit though she knew leaf bare was soon she didn't care.

She sat on the little pebbles and saw a large being in the water she looked at it's snapping jaws. She felt her fur prickle what was that?

It had a long snout and no ears with long teeth, was this one of the beings in the old tales that the elders used to tell her . Was it an alligator. It looked exactly like how they described it let out a large snarl and then it's long snout started descending from the water.

It's large paws grasped the pebbles and slowly crawled towards her. Finally it snapped a mouse tail length away from her fur. She hissed loudly arching her back with her fur bristling making her fur half her size.

She unsheathed her claws on the ground and looked at it's large anger filled eyes. She felt herself terrified. She could smell BrokenMoons scent all around her and knew StarClan was with her.

She glared at the being as it's long webbed paws clawed there way up the rocks and it snapped once more. She growled loudly trying to intimidate the large being and then she unsheathed her claws scratching with one claw.

She knew the battle moves she'd seen cats do wouldn't work on this large of a being. She stood up running as fast as she could aware of it's fast claws chasing her. She ran through the forest and ravine without stopping finally at camp she skidded to a halt and yowled

"Help there's an alligator!"