30

CHAPTER 30

Since that night, I've been getting four hours of sleep. His face keeps popping in my head, almost in the shape of a clown. His laugh echoed constantly as he whispered, "No one can have you, except me. You're mine. Only mine, my love." It was almost like that night they sent me to grandma's house for the weekend and uncle was there.

Jaxson tapped my shoulder. "Here," there was a cup of hot chocolate in his hand. He remembered?

"You remembered that I liked hot chocolate?" I looked at him in disbelief.

"Of course, I did. After all, you only drank it if I made it. And figured I could make it since the whole situation at the hospital."

I nodded, taking the cup from him. "Right. Thanks."

"About your ex, what you want to do?"

"Does bashing his head on the corner of a coffee table until he bleeds, work?"

He chuckled. "As much as I'd oblige, I can't let you do that. We're trying to keep you out of jail, remember? Let me do the violent stuff, okay?"

"Well..." I pondered. "A restrain order could work for now. Fine."

"Good. Get some rest. You're going back to school soon."

Oh yeah. The building I like to call hell on earth. Great.

"Can I just get homeschooled instead?"

Jaxson's expression changed. His eyes went narrow. "Why?"

I looked away at the white sheets that covered my left leg whilst my right was up on a sling. I had to let this out at some point, right? He's the only one I could trust. "Clarise isn't the only person I have to deal with."

"Who?"

"Her name's Bridget. She's part of the reason Lucas stood me up that night."

That's when Marissa sat up straight, head turning as if it's on a swivel. "Wait...Bridget as in Bridget Dawson?"

I tilted my head toward her. "Do you know her?"

I look between them. "You know her too, Jaxson?"

"No, but I do know her spineless father."

♣︎

Someone just dig my grave already.

These navy-blue walls are the bane of my existence. I'm starting to regret taking my stay in the hospital for granted. Walking through the walls—well, at least trying to since Kayden and Lucas have ridden of me of one leg and left me to hop around with crutches. There were eyes that followed me along my shameful trail to my locker, but as much as I ignored them, they affected me somehow. No matter what I do, I'll never get used to the attention.

I was about to take one of my books out when both friends, I haven't seen since after the trail with my parents, almost tackled me.

Monica threw her arms around me followed by Sami. "Girl, where have you been?"

I lifted my leg. "The hospital."

Monica grimaced, pulling away from me. "Dude, what happened?"

"I did something stupid," I shrugged, taking my book. "Do you mind—"

I was about to give my book to Monica so she could hold it for me, but another hand came between us. "I got it," the voice I knew it way too well followed afterwards. Then my bag that was hanging on my shoulder was now on his.