03

CHAPTER 3

Even though the streets are lined with cars, some families having at east two to seven cars each, I pulled into the driveway. Cutting the engine to my car, I stepped out only to the windows pitched black. Honestly, I was used to it since that's how they liked things to be. Dark and ominous.

Eventually I made it inside trying to be as discreet as possible, so I don't make any noise and wake them. Plastic cups, beer bottles, tissues, and coke residue littered the floors. Pizza boxes from last night hadn't even made outside. I let out a quiet sigh to myself knowing this was my fate for now at least. I started with the pizza boxes and went onto wiping the counters down with whatever I could use since mother handed all her responsibilities to me.

I lost track of time as am hour went by still trying to be as discreet as I can. Mopping the coke away off the floors, carrying the rest of the trash out. There are only a few months left, Meghan. Pretty soon, this will all be over, I said softly to myself. When I was finished with cleaning, I went back to the kitchen and grabbed whatever ingredients I could find. Whatever was left really.

I decided to whip up a quick pasta. As I was cooking, I heard footsteps. My heart began to sink to my stomach.

"Why are you home so late?" a rough, low voice pierced through the peaceful atmosphere that I was enjoying.

"I was studying at the library," by the time I answered him, dad was already a few feet closer looking at me with a suspicious glint in his eyes.

"Yet, you're wearing a Narco's shirt."

"I was studying at the library and then I went to Narco's for dinner." I bit the inside of my lips hoping he'd buy it. It would kill me if they found out what I was doing there. It would be the end of my quest to get my own space and out of here in the summer.

"Come home late again, and you won't see daylight again."

***

Monday morning couldn't have swung by any faster. As much as I didn't want to be in class right, it was way better than being home. I had to deal with my dad's stupid guest Friday night. He looked like a disfigured version of big bird from sesame street. The whole time he looked at me as if he was hungry, and not hungry for food I might add.

Considering I almost got caught coming home late, I was lucky enough to make to my room. However, I needed to keep this keep until college. Shrugging my bag off my back onto the desk, I sank into the seat in front of it.

"Hey, partner," he greeted, a sly smirk dancing across his lips. It was taking everything within me to fight the urge of wiping that smirk off his face.

I opened my bag, taking my book that had notes for the class in it. Flipping through the pages, I landed on my hand-drawn brain diagram. "Let's get this over with cool?" I stole a quick glance at him.

His hand went up against his chest in mock offense. "Not even a hello? What's got you in a bad mood?"

"The only thing you should be concerned about is this project that is fifty percent of our grades," I told him, a scowl resting on my face ultimately shutting him down.

Me getting closed to anyone is not on my bingo card right now. Sami and Monica are an exception. It's better off that way. I'll never get hurt again.

"Before we start," I heard him take a strap breath, tone turning serious. "I'm not going to make you do all the work, okay?"

Wow. Lucas, "Community Hook Up" Matthews is being a gentleman. How nice? I thought. Let's how long this will last.

Not bothering to look at him, I nodded although it was taking a toll on me to fight the urge to steal a glance at him for a second time. Spreading my notes across the table, I finally let eyes travel the course to meet his. Those forest green eyes hold so much yet so little, but I'm only here for the project and nothing more.

"Which hormone do you want to focus on?" I asked him, forcing my eyes to leave his so I can focus on the project.

"Adrenaline," he answered, his voice rich and husky.

"Adrenaline, it is," I took this moment, to flip the pages of my notebook and land on the section about the adrenal glands. Meanwhile, in my peripherals, I caught him pushing his shirt sleeves up. Pieces of his tattoos were exposed. His biceps flexed as he ran his hand through tousled, wavy hair before some strands fell dangerous close to his eyes on his forehead. He grabbed his bag, pulling his laptop from it.

His eyes find mine, a sly smirk making its way back to his lips. "With our notes, I can construct a visual presentation. I think we should include a demonstration as well since this is a science project." He sent me a sly smile. "What do you think, partner?"

"It's a good start, but..." I responded, being professional. "How will we showcase the chemical reaction of adrenaline and what it does to the brain?"

"By doing something both of us might be scared of."

My face lost all its color at his words. There was no way I could do something like that—conquering my biggest fear—especially when it had a strong connection to my childhood. I can't...I just can't. I'm praying that I don't get peer pressured into doing something ridiculous. I hope I—

Girl, it's just a project about chemical reactions. You'll be fine. After this, you'll never interact with Lucas Matthews ever again.