11

CHAPTER 11

The classroom was filled now. Mr. Norman was sitting at his desk looking through the paper copy that I gave him. I was about to head to the front of the class when my foot got caught onto one of the girls' ankles, Kendra—one of the Bridget's minions. Closing my eyes, I was bracing myself for impact followed by a surge of laughter from the other students. When I opened my eyes, I could my heart jump. The surge of electricity running through me—every hair on my neck rising. I heard the thumps as the air around me thickened. It was hard to breathe.

Then I saw the cause of it all. Lucas' arm was wrapped around my waist, head next to me, lips mere meters away from my ear. His warm breath fanning across my skin. I was praying and hoping he couldn't hear my heart and how fast it was beating. His hold was tight trying to help me regain balance again. When we finally made it to the front of the classroom, he leaned close to my ear. "You, okay?" he whispered, checking on me.

From my peripheral vision, Kendra was angry. It looked like steam was leaving her ear. I have a feeling that she's going to tell Bridget about this. It won't end well for me. On the day I'm supposed to announce that I'll be dropping the case against the Runnels family. I felt something on my shoulder making me look over only to see Lucas' eyes on me, concerned. Genuinely concerned for me. "Earth to Meghan. Are you alright?"

I nodded, mentally shaking off the shock that I was feeling. "Y-yeah, I'm good. Let's get this done."

Mr. Norman was glaring at Kendra in the meantime. "Kendra, you will be seeing after class for that stunt you pulled. Lucas, Meghan, you two can begin."

Lucas gently squeezed my shoulder as I barely kept my hiss of pain underneath a whisper. "We got this."

I nodded and started introducing our project to the class. As I recall, our topic was about how the hormones effect the brain, but our focus was on Adrenaline. I had my game face on. All the words from the PowerPoint as they switched slipping through my mouth with ease. Lucas, on the other hand, was going through smoothly as well. Deep within the contours of Mr. Norman's sad stricken face, there was probably a proud smile hidden there.

As we got closer to the end, Lucas approached me. "Sometimes, we realize the craziest things when we face our fears."

He leaned close to my ear. "Play along. Don't be mad, okay?"

I looked at the class that was watching and some of their faces were beat red. Looking back at Lucas, I tried to nod but also kept cordial as much as possible. After all, it was all an act, right?

"Most people's greatest fear is loving someone," his hand was on the small of my waist, eyes intensely staring into mine. In them, I could see a mix of passion and love all directed at me. "But that's what happens when someone is so captivating that it draws you in like a singing siren," he continued, pulling me close. His chest against mine, my hands on his broad shoulders which lit a fire under me. Just feeling his shoulders as I wrapped my arms around his neck, I noticed that maybe I have an affect on him the moment his eyes darkened a tinged.

"Sometimes, that fear makes loving the person so worth it," my voice was between a whisper and stuttering with the way this man stared into my broken soul. "The adrenaline from wanting to keep that love makes you excited. It'll push you to the ends of the earth for that person."

"Just by holding her close, I could feel my body roaring to cage her forever," he winked at me as he let me go from his hold. To say my knees were like gelatin would be an understatement.

As our presentation ended, we headed back to our seats. The minute he sat next to me, he leaned near me. "Great job out there, partner."

I chuckled lowly. "You too. You should join the drama club. You're a great actor."