01

JUVIE is one hell of a place. It truly changes a person. It really changed my perspective of life. I mean, I was close to just ending it all. Convinced that no one cared if I was dead or not, but I met some amazing girls, Monica, and Sami in there—they helped me a lot. They made me realize if I were to give them all that satisfaction of ending it all, that wouldn't make me feel any better. That "way" out was too easy.

Slowly, I opened my room door and looked both ways before stepping out fully. Taking caution, my large gray hoodie keeping my body concealed as I tiptoed down the stairs hoping that I don't wake them up. However, the creeks in the floor didn't help, but I still managed to make it to the kitchen. I paired my hoodie with a pair of black jeans. Noticing the beer bottles on the counters, I figured that they were at it again and made a mental note to clean their mess when I get back.

I didn't bother to open the fridge knowing full well that it was half empty. Quickly, I grabbed an apple—the one thing that hasn't gone bad yet in this place. Making my way to the front door, I heard their footsteps coming closer and grabbed my bag, making a b-line for the last thing my parents bought for me, my car. It was the last time they took care of me. Last time they even smiled about anything involving me. Well, now it doesn't matter anymore. I've learned to accept the fact that I'm on my own anyway. By the time the door opened with my mother wearing a disheveled night dress as she shouted after me, I was half-way down our neighborhood—well, our new one.

They didn't have to come with me, but I guess they were shunned too raising someone like me after what happened. I'm eighteen now and hopefully by the end of senior year I'll have my own place. You see, I've been working two jobs lately to keep us afloat. The good thing I made sure never to give my parents access to my bank accounts considering they're the reason we almost lost our old house.

Ever since we left Los Angeles, I haven't heard from any of my old friends—ex-friends and ex-boyfriend—not that I care. The only thing I've been focused on is clearing my name and forgetting them. The police took my old laptop and phone, shut down all my social medias and wiping it completely clean. I should thank them because social media is horrible when your self-esteem is super low.

***

The hallways were white, lockers were dark blue. And again, I was the new girl but this time it was different. I was happier and more confident. I wasn't wearing the gray hoodie anymore, but a black crop top that had a small, cute moon graphic. Some of my tattoos were displayed. Better yet, my two best friends that were in juvie with me, attended the same school as me.

"Meg!" Monica ran up, tackling me into a tight hug.

"Hey bestie," I greeted her.

"What's up girl? What brings you to school this early?" she asked, whilst we walked to homeroom together.

"You know exactly why, Monica." I wasn't convinced when she asked. Because she knew my life story up to the point of how I got sent to Juvie in the first place. "I'm not going to talk about it again."

She chuckled. "Relax, girl. I'm just playing. Anyway, how's apartment hunting going?"

"Going absolutely nowhere." I sighed. "It's getting harder and harder to keep it under wraps because now they're asking me what I'm doing outside so late."

"Girl, just tell them you're working," Monica suggested. Don't get me wrong, I would love to tell them, but if I tell them about my jobs, they're going to ask me for money. I already paying rent to live in my own house.

"Monica, did you forget about what happened last time?"

She grimaced. "Oh, yeah. You had to give them all your paychecks and leave that job."

"Exactly, it's the reason for my predicament now."

When we got to homeroom, Sami was already there. The three of us were all preparing for our first classes since we all had different first classes. This was our moment to have together until lunch. To be honest, that uneasy feeling I felt a year ago, never came back once I met the girls. I promised myself that I was going to get through this school year—my last school year—with no drama. No boys. And most certainly no secretly jealous friends turned enemies that have personal vendettas against me. I'm never going through that again. I'll never fall in love again.

"Good morning, students. In today's morning announcements we have, the crenshaw high Falcons have made it to nationals. Go Falcons! Here's a birthday shout-out for everyone who has a birthday in September. The cheerleading team will have try-outs next week. Lastly, Mr. Nickson will now say a few words."

"Good morning students, this week a college fair will be occurring during all lunch periods as well as our first home game to start off the football season against the Los Angeles, Eagles on Friday. I'm here to encourage you all to show your best to the college representatives that visit this school. Have good day today, and always remember, only the best will get you where you need to be."

"Meg, you know my mom said you're welcomed to stay with us as long as you like, right?" Sami said, having a little bit empathy in voice.

I sighed. "As much as I would love to, Sami, I don't want to be a burden on you guys."

"Meg, you're not all a burden to any of us. You're family. Okay?"

"I know. Look, we'll talk about this later. I don't want to dwell on it too much."

***

Now came the time that everyone at the school hated, Chemistry class. It was the one class; I don't have with Sami or Monica. It's the one class I have with the one person I never want to cross paths with but is forced to. Because all the other girls in the school have given me some nasty looks just for walking the same door. Yet, this person will do everything in their power to annoy me.

"Class, before we start, I have an announcement." Mr. Norman said.

I'd like to think that everyone would agree with me when I say that anytime Mr. Norman had to announce something to the class, it always ends in some type of disaster. I heard stories that last year at this time, he assigned a huge group project along with an exam to everyone and almost the entire class passed by the skin of their teeth. Everyone except me groaned in disapproval.

"For starters, you all know that your final exams are coming up. Your final for this class will be a group project. This year the final will solely be the project. I will not be giving a written exam this year."

Interesting. Everyone else cheered, but I stayed neutral knowing that there was a catch. There's always a catch.

"However, you will be put in pairs, and I will be assigning the pairs."

They all groaned once more.

He began announcing each pair. I watched as everyone else happily head over to their partners, satisfied with Mr. Norman's decision. The anticipation for me, however, was starting to eat me alive. I just knew deep in my stomach that my day that I hoped would turn out good was about to take turn for the worst.

"Ms. Hawkins, you will be paired up with Mr. Matthews," he announced.

I wanted to crawl in a hole and never come out. I wanted to go home and be locked in my room this time. Shoot, I was even willing to stay out longer to get punished later. He approached the table next to me, and leaned close to my ear.

"Looking forward to work with you, partner."

A/N:

Our male protagonist is here. What do you guys think of the story so far?

Don't forget to vote and comment, I'll be responding. Hehe.