28

CHAPTER 28

︎LUCAS

All I did was blink, and that girl already had a hand full of Meghan's hair. She scratched and clawed. "I'm going to end you!"

Meghan, soaked with soda, was smug. Her face was blank. It's almost she didn't care that the girl was trying to attack her. "You already did."

With my arm around her waist, I pulled her away from that girl, Clarise, who was getting pulled back from Kayden. Great, now both of us are going to get banned from eating here. Both of us led the girls outside, not before I left a tip for the waiter and paid for our food of course, I led Meghan back to my car.

I hated this. I messed up again. I should've chosen another place. I should've just brought her back home instead. "Meg, I—"

"It's not your fault. Neither of us knew they were going to be there. Let's just hope that it doesn't get out and make things worse than they already are."

It made me feel worse. I held both her shoulders, checking on her. "Are you okay?"

She cracked a nearly crooked smile. "This is nothing."

"Nothing?" I don't know came over me but... "Jesus, why are you like this?!"

She took both my hands and pulled them off her shoulders. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't do that again. Or touch me like that, I will speed up the time you have left to live."

"Why are you always trying to stay strong?!" it was still on my mind. In every moment, a straight face was stuck to her. Yes, there were times when she cried her heart out, but no matter what she was confronted with, there was no emotion. No sense of strength or energy. She welcomed it, tackled it, and still had the same look on her face. She always looks like she deserves everything that's coming for her. She always looks as if she deserved getting humiliated the way she was.

She combed through her beautiful her hair with her hand. "Just take me home."

***

"When are you going to drop that girl, Lucas?" why did that have to be the first question I get as soon as I reached the kitchen. Great, now I don't have an appetite anymore. "This is your future. You're going to—"

I looked at my father in his lifeless, deep set brown eyes. "Father, as much as I love you and respect you. Not a single string in my heart sings Bridget let alone the company. I'm sorry but you're not going to force me to marry someone I despise with every fiber of my being."

"Lucas. Are you seriously going to drop everything we worked so hard to build for that stupid, criminal?!"

I pushed the plate that my mother fixed for me away and stood up as she ate silently. "You know what? Thank you. Thank you for letting me know where your priorities lie."

"Lois, can you talk to him?" my father, on his last resort pleaded to my mother.

"Lucas, if you don't do this for us. You'll get cut off," she finally spoke, ultimately giving me the motivation I needed.

Without a word, I pulled my wallet from my pocket and took the credit card they gave when I turned fifteen placing on the table in front of them. "Go ahead, I never used it anyway."

"That goes for the car too," she mentioned.

That's when I chuckled. "Yeah, about that, you're not allowed to touch my car or my bike."

"What do you mean we aren't allowed to touch them? We paid for it," my father almost yelled, nearly popping a vein.

"Actually, I paid for them."