15

CHAPTER 15

That stupid family had the Castro family behind them. There was a rumor that Clarise was going to marry into that family for a huge deal. When I say huge, I mean that it could possibly change the landscape of the business world. I still don't believe it though. I'm not convinced, but if the heir of the Castro family marries Clarise, he'd better have his cards locked because she'll probably wipe then clean to show off on Instagram.

They were the third leg pushing me off the lodge. The Castro family was a sleeper. They were decently wealthy. Always ranking fourth behind the Runnels, Smith, and Gomez family. However, the Smith were always on top, but that's not important. They're part of the reason my life is ruins, and they were going to pay for it. The Castro family was their strength. You see, the Castro Family had connections to half the media companies established in the state. They had ties to a lot of the law firms here too. The big one being the Maverick Law, the firm Angelo works for.

I was about to grab a bottle of water when I saw Jaxson walked in with more files in his hands. How much more information does one man need?

"How much more information, do you need? I'm just trying to clear my name."

"Enough to completely to shut down an entire Conglomerate empire. Enough to swipe that house right under your parents' noses and render them broke, homeless, and illegitimate. Enough to render Manny Gomez to completely useless. And enough to tear down Maverick whilst Angelo getting license revoked at the same time. Add a dash of your parents being put in prison and Grandma as your guardian since your parents aren't fit to raise you." With that, he gave me a warm smile. "When I said I was going to make them see hell, this is only part of it."

I looked at him, almost shocked. No one has gone this far to help me before. "What are those?"

"Well, this is what you really need to see." He smirked, opening one of the files and showed it to me.

I almost chuckled, but a scoff came instead. "So, the rumor was true. They were marrying her off to the Castro family."

"That, and the Castro family is the sole funders of the Runnels company on the back end." Jaxson revealed.

"What does that mean?" I asked him, confused.

"That means the Runnels ran out of money or they could be laundering it." He explained. "You see, the Runnels family hasn't paid their taxes in the last fifteen years."

Now that was something the public needed to know. They've been on trials for possibly not paying taxes, but always won since their money always talks for them. Or they knew the judges and lawyers on a personal level. I wasn't surprised to know they had ties to the Castro family, and that family had ties to almost everything that breathe life here. However, that leaves the Smith family to be the black sheep or the sleeping giant.

"So, what are you going to do the next?"

"To wake up the sleeping giant," he revealed.

That made me scowl. "Why bring Mr. Smith and his wife into this? It's a small case. They have better things to deal with. Besides they wouldn't want me as a client."

"That's where you're wrong, sweetheart," a voice emerged from the dark doorway, exiting the shadows were both Aaron and Gisele, Mr., and Mrs. Smith. My blood ran cold for the second time in the span of twenty-four hours. The color in my face left, and my hands clammy.

"You're our son's favorite person in the world. And like a daughter to us. Why wouldn't we help you?"

"Well, I'm not a big CEO or something for you to represent. I'm...no one," I said lowly, hoping they wouldn't hear.