“So what was the talk about? What’s the game?”

Herman turned to Vincent.

“No, before that, why did you miss my call?”

Vincent wanted to know the reason. He was genuinely curious. 

For, it was usually Herman that called Vincent most of the time. Herman was extremely fond of talking with Vincent about the silliest (yet adorable) things. 

(“Vincent, I just saw that orange tabby- what was its name? Uh- right, Scar-. I was wondering where it went off to.” 

“.. I see. I’m glad it’s safe. Scar has a great life here.”

“Yep. Okay, so I hope you have a great day. See you in the afternoon-” 

“Herman, don’t tell me you called to talk about a cat you saw.”) 

Herman generally preferred calls more than texts too. Whereas Vincent would mostly text or email than call. And he was extremely practical in that he contacted people only to inform the receiver of something. 

And when Vincent did happen to call Herman, Herman made a huge deal out of it- which was hilarious. Hence the reason why Vincent couldn’t let slide the missed call. 

Herman chuckled. 

“Hm, I was actually going to share the news later but here we go. Father called to let me know he will be hosting a party this weekend. It’s not one of the biggest ones- just to celebrate his scholarship students.”

Rosier not only engaged in social affairs among noblities but also among society in general. They were involved in all sorts of charity events, including the “Rosier Scholarship”. It was one of the major scholarships and they had incredible outputs, which this year too, they had to celebrate for. 

“Where's the venue?”

Vincent asked, for he couldn't think of any appropriate venues for such an event near campus.

“It’s a couple hours from here;  the —Hotel ”

Herman squeezed Vincent’s shoulders as he whispered “and you’re coming with me”. 

Vincent laughed at that, for he assumed Herman was joking. Apparently, he wasn’t. 

“No, I’m sorry Herman, but I don’t think I should go. I’m not even invited, am I?”

“You just were. Please Vincent. It’ll be fun.”

Herman didn’t see what the issue was. 

“Even if I were invited,”

Vincent tried to explain. 

Vincent did not go to parties unless it was an absolute must. Going to parties where he was officially invited was enough hassle for him. Imagining going to one where he wasn’t expected was completely mortifying. And with the recent masquerade ball, he was not quite feeling up for another one so soon. 

“Invited where?”

Theodor popped out of nowhere. 

Just a moment ago, Theodor was getting a headlock by Evan. 

His hair was ruffled up; an evident that it was not a smooth escape. 

(“you’re pretty good, Theo!” Evan exclaimed from far back- he was panting.) 

Herman was mildly irritated by the appearance of Theodor. For, Herman would have preferred to keep it between Vincent, but now he had no choice. Technically, the scholarship party wasn’t exactly a secret- but it was one that he would be taking Vincent sub rosa- as in, not as a Rosier and Prince but as themselves; just as it was at the night of the masquerade ball. 

“Well, a party- more of a celebration- for scholarship students- the Rosier Scholarships.”

Herman vaguely explained and glanced at Theodor, hoping that he would go back to roughhousing with Evan. 

But contrary to his wish, Theodor’s said something incredible. 

“I would have said something if I knew you’d be coming too-”

All three sets of eyes turned to look at Theodor. 

“Excuse me?”

Herman spoke quickly, his eyes squinted as if he wanted to ask if what he was thinking was right. 

“I’m in the program.” 

Theodor shrugged. He was involved in a lot of minor events, compelled by his parents, in order to stay relevant- whatever that means. He maintained top grades in prep school, did a lot of volunteer work and all the fancy extracurriculars- but mostly, strings were pulled. He was recommended to the Rosiers Scholarships and had been a holder for about two years. This was his third party. He never saw Herman at the parties nor any Rosiers for that matter- and assumed it would be another formal, faceless event. 

Herman caught Vincent's eyes. Vincent could see a gleam of idea pop up.

“I'm still not invited, Herman.” 

Vincent murmured, mildly amused. Vincent didn't see why Herman would want him to be at a scholarship party. It was barely a social gathering- just an extension of the program. 

“Who's not invited?”

Evan squeezed his head in between Herman and Vincent.
Herman began to think Evan and Theodor made a perfect match- they were practically copies of each other.

Vincent looked to Herman to answer. It was only fair, for it was his- the Rosier's - event. 

Herman glanced at Vincent before opening his lips. Herman had wanted to keep it between themselves, for at this rate it was evident he'd end up taking all the guys here. 

“...Vincent and I had a disagreement.” 

Herman answered dismissively, wishing his manner would distract the other two- Evan and Theodore- from further probing on the matter. 

Evan frowned. 

“Oh so you want to keep it a secret.” 

Evan would usually give Herman his way but he was feeling particularly mischievous. Perhaps because Lysander wasn't around? He was feeling unfulfilled even after messing with Theodor. 

Herman ignored him. 

Evan glanced at Herman with impish eyes, pulled out his phone and tapped on the screen for a few minutes. 

“Evan,” Herman could easily guess what Evan was doing. He sighed. 

“Seems like it’s an open event!” Evan exclaimed. 

Herman was pinching the bridge of his nose. 

“What have you done.”

Evan shrugged as he showed him the screen. 

“Just a generous act of service” 

Evan had bought four tickets for visitors. They were quite pricey considering the tickets were sold for fundraising purposes. They were normally purchased by family or friends of the scholarship holders, or those who were once part of the program. 

Herman let out a hollow laugh as if he couldn’t believe this was happening and looked into the void.