Only a few days were left until the ball. There wasn’t too much to prepare, for it was quite common to have a couple costumes ready. Herman, of course- the Rosiers were hosting and attending parties all the time; Vincent too, even despite that the Princes were more of a reserved sort- he decided to wear his father’s old costume. 

“I have the most perfect piece for that occasion. I’ll send it to you- you’ll have it by tonight.”

This was Vincent’s father’s response to his letter: “..and I’m still working on my costume- do you have any thoughts, father?”

And since Vincent need not worry about his costume, he was perfectly ready for the ball. His father had even sent him a brilliant mask too that matched his outfit; for apparently masquerade balls were fashionable back in his days. 

“Can I see your costume?”

Herman had asked when Vincent told him about his father’s letter. 

“Of course.” 

And as he was about to open the box, Herman suddenly changed his mind. 

“Wait, wait- actually, we should try to find each other at the ball.”

Herman grasped Vincent’s wrist just in time so that the lid of the box was yet to slide over. 

Vincent nodded slowly, unsure of what to think of it. Simply because he had imagined them two to head to the ball together. 

“And whoever finds the other first wins. It’s a bet!”

“Sure, I’ll let you know what I want.”

Vincent was quite sure he’d spot Herman in a second- by his height. 

It was honestly too easy. 

Herman didn’t seem to realize that, however. 

“As much as I’d love to let you win,”

Herman shrugged with a knowing smile. 

He seemed entirely confident that this was a fair game. 

Unlike Herman, Vincent was to have a relatively relaxing day, for his only class for today was canceled. 

He roamed around the campus, walking along the grove, passing the library. It always seemed nicer to be out when one usually was supposed to be indoors; even if the breeze was getting crispier and the sun less shining. 

"Vincent, what a coincidence indeed" 

James cried out as he noticed Vincent walking by. 

Vincent turned at the sudden call of his name. 

James waved his hand high up in the air when Vincent turned towards him. He sort of jogged up towards VIncent- Jude too, for James was met by Jude in the corridor. 

Vincent wasn’t too fond of Jude, but he could easily pretend he wasn’t bothered. 

"James, Jude- good afternoon" 

Vincent smiled. 

James and Jude walked over with the identical curious look on their faces. 

"But where's Herman? I’m so used to seeing you two together." 

"Yeah, you two really are inseparable. I'd think you guys were like together!" Jude exclaimed and made a face as if the idea of guys being together was so very disagreeable to him, then laughed out loud at his own- apparently- joke.