Twelve B: My boyfriend saves us

Hihi

Hihi

MELANIE

"This is bad," Annabeth muttered. They were crouching behind a tree, staring at the donut shop in the middle of the woods. It looked brand new, with brightly lit windows, a parking area, and a little road leading off into the forest, but there was nothing else around, and no cars parked in the lot.

They could see one employee reading a magazine behind the cash register. That was it. On the store's marquis, in huge black letters, it said: MONSTER DONUT A cartoon ogre was taking a bite out of the O in MONSTER. The place smelled good, like fresh baked chocolate donuts.

"This shouldn't be here," Annabeth whispered. "It's wrong."

"Food isn't wrong, though." Melanie said. "This donut shop looks tasty."

Annabeth placed her finger in front of her own lips. "Shhh!"

"Why are we whispering? Tyson went in and bought a dozen. Nothing happened to him."  Percy noted.

"He's a monster."

"Aw, c'mon, Annabeth. Monster Donut doesn't mean monsters! It's a chain. We've got them in New York."

Minji raised her eyebrow. "But did that ever looked so suspicious?"

Annabeth sighed. "A chain," she agreed. "And don't you think it's strange that one appeared immediately after you told Tyson to get donuts? Right here in the middle of the woods?"

"It could be luck." Melanie said. "I used to wish for chocolate cookies on the weekend after judo practice and suddenly they appeared." They all looked at her and Percy tilted his head. "Wasn't that just your housekeeper baking them for you?"

Melanie shrugged her shoulders. "The point is that sometimes the world listens."

Annabeth looked at her like she'd grown a second head. "Right...." She gazed to the donut shop again. "Anyway, this could be a nest." Annabeth explained. Tyson whimpered. Melanie saw him eating over a half a box of donuts. No donuts for her.

"A nest for what?" Percy asked.

"Haven't you ever wondered how franchise stores pop up so fast?" she asked. "One day there's nothing and then the next day-boom, there's a new burger place or a coffee shop or whatever? First a single store, then two, then four- exact replicas spreading across the country?"

"Isn't that just all planned out?" Melanie mumbled.

"Um, no. Never thought about it."

"Percy, some of the chains multiply so fast because all their locations are magically linked to the life force of a monster. Some children of Hermes figured out how to do it back in the 1950s. They breed-" She froze.