Six: the prisoner that deserves death

Why even death isn't fair

the fifth of June

MELANIE

waved Matthew, Ava and Minji goodbye when they decided to check out the prank that Tim and Justin were planning to play on the Stoll brothers. She had felt the gray-eyed girl's gaze on her the whole time. She hadn't seen Annabeth in almost a year and it honestly felt weird to see her again.

"So, who is that Peter guy?" Percy said, "He looked familiar." Clarisse let out an annoyed huff. "Someone like Daimon himself, he's so infuriating." Melanie shook her head as they walked towards the Big House. Normally the campers would be running around and playing. But everyone felt the danger where they were in.

Counselors and satyrs were stockpiling weapons in the tool shed. Dryads armed with bows and arrows talked nervously at the edge of the woods. The forest looked sickly, the grass in the meadow was pale yellow, and the fire marks on Half-Blood Hill stood out like ugly scars.

"It's Peter King, the boy we saw on Olympus." Melanie explained, ignoring Clarisse her glare. Annabeth looked Melanie in the eye for the first time since they had arrived. The same stormy clouds that looked like an unreachable pit of thoughts. "Is he claimed yet?"

Clarisse snorted. "As if, he keeps saying he died and Zeus brought him back alive. He doesn't want to say who his father is." Percy gave Melanie a look about Clarisse and she tried hard not to smile. Annabeth's gears were turning in her head like a racing car. "He died, but he's back alive. Even Zeus can't decide who lives or who dies, and Hades would never allow it."

Melanie shrugged her shoulders. "It doesn't matter, it matters that he's here now and that he's an excellent fighter who protects the camp." Clarisse gave Melanie a look. "Please, all he does is play with those little lights and call it a day."

Percy and Tyson were busy talking about camp. The cyclops was like a little kid who walked in his favorite candy store. Everything surprised him and excited him.

When they got to the Big House, they found Chiron in his apartment, listening to his favorite 1960s lounge music while he packed his saddlebags. The centaur hadn't noticed the four yet.

Tyson froze. "Pony!" he cried in total rapture. Chiron turned, looking offended. "I beg your pardon?" Annabeth ran up and hugged him. "Chiron, what's happening? You're not ... leaving?" Her voice was shaky. Chiron was like a second father to her. Chiron ruffled her hair and gave her a kindly smile. "Hello, child. And Percy, my goodness. You've grown over the year!"

Percy looked a little sad.. "Clarisse said you were ... you were ..."

"Fired." Chiron's eyes glinted with dark humor. "Ah, well, someone had to take the blame. Lord Zeus was most upset. The tree he'd created from the spirit of his daughter, poisoned! Mr. D had to punish someone."