Chapter 104

Amelia was pacing on the porch outside the doctor's office when Nick came outside. Amelia continued pacing, stressed out.

"Momma," Nick laid his hands on her shoulders, "she ain't gonna say anything."

Amelia's head shot up to him. "Seriously?"

Nick nodded. "Stop stressing, you're gonna be fine."

Amelia let out a relieved sigh. She smiled up at Nick before hugging him tightly. He hugged her back, just as tight. When several horse hooves pounded on the ground, Amelia turned around. There she saw Arthur, Erika, and Mary's family. Arthur dismounted quickly, running up the steps to hug her.

"You are so stupid," he said in her hair, "but I love you regardless."

Amelia hummed. Erika came running up the steps and Amelia pulled away just as she crashed into her. Her body shook with tears of relief.

"Easy, sweetheart, I'm okay." Amelia hushed.

"I was so scared." Erika whispered through her tears.

"I know," Amelia pulled away, cupping her face with her hands, "but I'm still here. I'm not going anywhere, I promise."

Erika nodded before hugging her again. Amelia ran her hand through her brown curls and kissed the side of her head. Marys family came walking up the steps and Amelia looked down at them.

"We aren't gonna go to the law," Jamie said with a nod, "it was a simple mistake."

"Thank you."

———————————————————————————

"When did you ever think that it was okay shooting someone?" Arthur was scolding Amelia. The kids had already gone to bed, and Arthur was getting frustrated with his wife.

"We told her multiple times to leave and she wouldn't!"

"That doesn't mean you go and shoot her! And in front of our kids, Amelia! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Are you serious?"

"You just yelled at me the other night for beating up a man, but yet you go and shoot someone, which is even worse!" Arthur glared down at her. "You could've been hanged. And the day before our son's birthday at that!"

"That night was different-"

"How?"

"He was hitting on me and Erika-"

"And you shot my ex fiancé! Do you not realize what could've happened if her family decided to go to the law?"

"But they didn't!" Amelia glared up at him from her place on the bed. "I'm still here in one piece! And if you keep on yelling at me for doing what I saw was right, you're gonna get a bullet yourself!"

"You thought that was right?" Arthur scoffed. "What was right was me beating up that man for thinking I would just hand you or our daughter off. What wasn't right was you shooting a person in front of our kids. You could've killed her!" 

Amelia abruptly stood and walked out of the bedroom. Arthur followed her with a confused look.

"Where the hell do you think you're goin?" He yelled as she grabbed her hat from the chair.

"Going to cool off." She replied, walking out of the house before Arthur had the chance to reply.

Arthur simply growled and returned back to their bedroom, slamming the door.

Erika had heard everything and in the middle of it, she crept to Nicks bedroom. He was listening too and hugged his sister tightly as they both listened from his bedroom. When they heard the front door shut and their parent's bedroom door slam, they thought it was over. Nick looked down at her and gave her a weak smile before hugging her again.