Chapter 14

"Amelia, it's not that difficult, now please," Aryanna, Amelia's mother, pleaded with her to keep her mind focused on learning Polish.

"Ma, it's hard!" Amelia whined. She was fifteen, with a mouth as well.

"It's not! It's important for you to learn our heritage. Your father spent lots of money for a tutoring, now please-"

"You mean he actually spent money on me and not booze?" Amelia huffed.

"Amelia Davis!" Her mother said firmly. "That is enough! Now your father wants you to learn about this families past and this is how it's gonna be done."

"But-"

"No more arguments. Now you are gonna sit here with Miss Phillis and that's final." Aryanna turned on her heel and left the room.

Amelia groaned and turned towards her tutor. The woman smiled and nudged her shoulder. "How about I teach some curse words?"

Amelia raised her eyebrow at the woman. She simply laughed. "Don't worry, your parents don't have to know."

Amelia smiled brightly and nodded excitedly. The woman laughed and motioned for her to come closer. Amelia took a spot next to her and peered over the woman's shoulder as she began to write down some words.

———————————————————————————

Amelia sighed as her and Arthur walked down the trail, leading Duke and Astrid. Arthur looked down at the young woman as she pushed her hair out of her face with one hand, running it through her scalp. Amelia felt his eyes on her as she did this. Arthur quickly looked away when she looked up at him, a smirk twitching the corner of her mouth.

She climbed up on Astrid and looked down at the outlaw. "Wanna race?"

Arthur raised his eyebrow. "You race me?"

Amelia nodded. "Back to my house."

Arthur chuckled as he climbed up on Duke. "What's in it for me?"

"Loser gets to pay for the next round of drinks." She winked at him before kicking Astrid in the sides. She took off in a flash, leaving Arthur in the dust.

"Hey!" Arthur quickly kicked Duke, trying to catch up to her. She rode good, he had to admit that. But not good enough.

Arthur quickly pushed past her, waving his hands in victory as he laughed. Amelia chuckled as he looked back at her with a grin. He never even noticed that Amelia was saving Astrid's strength for the last stretch to her house. As they neared, Arthur was sure he was gonna win.

Until he saw a flash of brown and white run past him with platinum blonde hair flowing in the wind. Amelia looked back and smiled as she pushed Astrid forwards. She slid her hat from her head and held it tightly against her thigh as she urged Astrid a bit more.

Arthur brought Duke to a stop next to Amelia, who leaned against her saddle horn as he came up. She chuckled as he dismounted with a groan. Amelia patted Astrid as she looked down at Arthur.

"Looks like you're paying next, Mr. Morgan."

"How the hell did you beat me?"

"Saving her strength for the last stretch," Amelia patted Astrid on the neck, "she is fast, but she's even faster when you save her strength."

"Looks like I taught you well then," Arthur patted Astrid's forehead, "a little too well."

Amelia smiled and dismounted. She fed Astrid a sugar cube for her victory and began climbing up her porch steps. She looked down at Arthur as he stood at the bottom step.