Chapter 92

The next morning, Erika stirred awake. Amelia was up all night with her in case she did wake up, and just as she was dozing off around four, Erika opened her eyes. She shivered as she looked around before groaning, bearing the pain in her stomach.

"M-momma?" She said softly.

"Yeah," Amelia sat up straight, "I'm here," she touched her arm. "I'm right here."

"Where's Aunt Sadie?" Erika asked as she spotted her father and grandfather sleeping in the chairs.

"She went home." Amelia said softly. "Me and you need to have a little chat."

"I'm sorry, Momma. I thought I could do it."

"Erika, what were you thinkin? You know how dangerous bounty hunting is."

"Aunt Sadie and Uncle John do it all the time-"

"Aunt Sadie does it for fun and Uncle John does it to pay off his debt for the ranch."

"But you used to do it too-"

"And I stopped because of you and Nick." Amelia inhaled. "Erika, what would've happened if that bullet killed you? How do you think that would affect me and your father? Your brother? All your Aunts and Uncles?"

"I don't know." She looked down at her folded hands.

"You do know." Amelia tilted her head to look at her. "We almost lost you, sweetheart. That's not something that we want to go through. But since you went and deliberately disobeyed us, you are grounded."

"For how long?"

"Until we decide you've learned your lesson. That means no leaving the property unless it's with us or going anywhere on your own. Me, your father, or Nick have to be with you, even on the property."

"What about seeing family?"

"You will do that when me and your father go see them or if they come over to the house, understood?"

Erika nodded.

"Words."

"Yes."

Amelia sighed and stroked the top of her hand. "We do this because we love you, Erika. You're lucky your father isn't awake because he would be yelling at you."

"I'm sorry, Momma." Erika's voice began to break.

"I know." Amelia stood and sat down next to her, pulling her into a hug, "I know." She kissed the top of her head.

———————————————————————————

After a couple days, Erika was feeling well enough to walk. Of course, Arthur and Amelia had to help her, but they didn't mind. After Erika fell back asleep after her and Amelia's talk, Arthur woke up. Amelia strictly told him not to yell at her as she had already punished their daughter. He reluctantly followed his wife's orders.

"Alright," Arthur held out his arms, "take it nice and easy."

Erika grabbed her father's forearms and slowly pulled herself up. Arthur kept himself steady so she would have leverage to pull herself up. She smiled as he held her up.

"There ya go," Arthur chuckled, "come on, let's try a few steps."

"Pa-" Erika hesitated.

"Come on," he nodded to the door, "you can do it, honey."

"Are you sure?" Erika looked up at him.

Arthur nodded. "I'm sure. And I'll be right behind you."

"I'm doing it by myself?" Erika asked.