Chapter 102

The next morning was slow for the Morgan's. They all slept in until about ten. Amelia was the first one awake. She climbed over Arthur and got dressed in a white blouse and brown skirt before slipping on her black boots and brushing through her blonde curls. She then made her way outside to the barn to tend to the horses.

She led three horses who needed selling outside to the pens. The first one was a Male Black Chestnut Thoroughbred, whom Arthur had named Thunder. He had been with the Morgan's for two years. The next was a Female Dapple Grey Missouri Fox Trotter, who Erika had named Nova. She had been there for three years. The last was a Female Dark Bay Andalusian, who Nick had decided to name Beauty. She's been there for six months.

Amelia sighed and leaned against Nova's pen, watching as she slowly drank water from the trough. She let out a breath and looked over at Thunder. She smiled softly before approaching his pen and reaching her hand out to him. He stared at it for a moment before pushing his forehead against her palm.

"Let's see if we can find you a forever home today, Thunder." She whispered, running her hand through his mane.

Amelia looked over as Erika came running out of the backdoor. Her hair was still pinned back, but she pulled it out of the hairdo as she reached her mother at the horses pens. She smiled as she approached Nova's pen. Nova immediately went over to the young girl.

"Do we have to let her go?" She asked, not looking up at Amelia.

Amelia simply chuckled. "I'm thinking this horse selling business was a bad idea. You and your father get too attached to these horses."

Erika hummed. "I am my fathers daughter."

"Ain't that the truth," Amelia mumbled, "you look more and more like him everyday."

"Momma," Erika looked over at her, "I look like you."

Amelia laughed as she shook her head. "Since when do I have sandy brown hair and dark blue eyes?"

Erika paused. "Well-" She furrowed her eyebrows, pressing her lips into a tight line. "Point proven."

"Exactly." Amelia chuckled. "But besides your hair and eye color, you do look like me."

Erika sighed and crossed her arms over the gate. She laid her head on her arms and stared at Nova. "I wish we didn't have to let her go."

"She's been with us for three years, sweetheart." Amelia ran her hand through her daughters curls. "I think it's time for her to find her forever home, don't you think?"

"I wish I could keep her." She mumbled.

"What about Sapphire?"

"There's nothing wrong with two horses, Momma."

"You aren't keeping two horses, Erika."

"But-"

Erika's words were interrupted as a pair of horse hooves came up the drive. They both looked back and saw a small family. An older man, a middled aged girl, and a young man. Amelia squinted her eyes at the family. She then realized who it was. She widened her eyes and pushed Erika towards the house.

"Go," she whispered, looking at her, "wake up your father."

"Momma?" Erika's eyes darted between her and the family. "What's goin on?"

"Tell your father that Mary Linton is here."

"Who-"

"Erika," Amelia grabbed her daughters shoulders, "go. Now."