Chapter 55

Amelia was in the kitchen holding Erika while making breakfast for Nicholas. She woke up at six with her and couldn't go back to sleep so she stayed awake for a little while. It was now around ten, and she was just waiting for Arthur to wake up. Nicholas came into the kitchen as Amelia was finishing up.

It had been two months since she's given birth, and so far, things were pretty easy. Erika and Nicholas were sleeping through the night, however, Erika still woke up very early in the morning. Arthur returned to work, and Abigail came over occasionally to help with the kids.

Amelia and Abigail were in the process of moving Erika to her new room when a knock sounded on the front door. They exchanged confused glances before Abigail decided to answer. Amelia continued moving things in.

Abigail looked out the curtain windows and saw a brown haired older woman standing at the door. She looked back in the house before opening the front door.

The brown haired woman stared at her in confusion. Abigail did the same.

"Can I help you?" Abigail asked.

"I-I'm sorry," the woman began, "but does an Amelia Davis live here?"

"Yes."

"May I talk to her?"

Abigail closed the door and began making her way towards Erika's bedroom. She poked her head inside.

"Who was it?" Amelia asked, not looking up.

"An older woman was asking to speak to you."

Amelia hummed and stood straight, stretching out her back. She picked up Erika from her crib and began making her way towards the front door. She opened it with her free hand and stared at the older woman standing there.

"Amelia?" She asked, glancing down at the child in her arms.

"Yes," she shifted Erika in her arms, "can I help you?"

"I'm surprised you don't remember me."

Amelia stared at her, inspecting her features carefully. Her emerald eyes were bright, and she had grey streaks in her once golden brown hair. The wrinkles on her skin showed her old age, but her voice still sounded as young as she used to be. Amelia then widened her eyes. "Irina?" She let out.

The woman nodded. "I heard tale of a bounty hunter over this way. Sounded like you. When asking in town, they gave me confirmation." She smiled.

Amelia covered her mouth with her free hand. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. The motherly figure she had growing up was here on her doorstep. Amelia heard little footsteps descending from in the house and she looked back. Her almost two year old son ran through the house with a toy horse Hosea had made for him. He stopped and looked up at the two women in the doorway.

He walked over to Amelia and looked up at her. "Who's that, Momma?"

"Nick," Amelia crouched, "how about you go find Aunt Abigail and help her, okay?"

"What about Erika?" He questioned, spying his little sister in his mother's arms.

"Erika is asleep, so she's fine. Go find Aunt Abigail." She ushered him towards Erika's room. Amelia stepped outside and shut her front door. She turned around and faced the woman who had helped raise her. "Irina, I-I don't even know what to say. What're you doin here?"

"Figured it was time for a visit." She smiled and looked down at the little girl in Amelia's arms. "Is this your daughter?"

Amelia nodded. "And that was our son."