Chapter 19

"Sukinsyn," (son of a bitch) Amelia mumbled, searching through her bag. "Where the fuck is it?"

"What are you looking for?" Arthur chimed, stopping in her bedroom doorway.

"My necklace," she threw the clothes from her bag out onto the floor, "it was tucked in a pocket, but I can't find it."

"What does it look like?"

"It's a silver chain with a sapphire in the middle." She began rummaging through the pockets of her jeans. "Goddammit."

"Okay, just take it easy," Arthur knelt down beside her, "where did you last have it?"

"In one of these pockets," she gestured down to the bag, "I was gonna give it to momma but backed out last minute." She ran her fingers through her head of curls. "I need that necklace."

Arthur looked down at her as she sat on her knees, rubbing her eyes tiredly. He lifted her head by her chin, staring into her bloodshot blue eyes. "You look like you haven't slept in days, Amelia."

Amelia quickly shook her head out of his grasp. "I-I can't sleep. Not until I find that necklace."

"What's so special bout it?" He questioned, picking up a pair of jeans.

"It was Irina's."

"Who?"

"The maid that helped me escape home," she shifted through the clothes that piled her floor. They piled from out of her dresser as well. She was tearing that room apart. "She gave it to me to sell but I never brought myself to it." She stood, walking over to her bed. She shook out her pillow case and the tiniest sound of metal hit the floorboards. Amelia quickly shot down, reaching underneath her bed frame. She pulled out a small chain with a small piece of sapphire in the middle. She let out a sigh of relief as she clutched to her chest. "Oh, thank god."

Arthur stood and walked over to her. She was sitting on her knees inspecting the necklace as Arthur crouched in front of her. "May I?" He asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Course." Amelia placed the dainty chain in his outstretched hand. Arthur held it up, looking at it closely.

"How much would this even sell for?" He asked as he placed it back in Amelia's hands.

Amelia shrugged. "I don't know, but," she hooked the chain around her neck, "I can't sell it. It's all I have left of the only mother figure I had growing up." She picked up the stone. "Having this is like having a part of her with me." She smiled, remembering bits and pieces of her childhood.

The good parts.

"Amelia!"

The young teenage girl looked up from her place in her room. The faint knocking at her bedroom door pulled her away from the heavy pallets of rain pelting against her window. She opened the door and smiled at the young woman standing before her.

Irina, the maid who was hired a few months ago stood before her. She was in her late twenties, with long golden brown hair and dark emerald colored eyes. She was dressed in her usual attire Amelia saw her in. A long floor length brown skirt, a white blouse with golden embroidered accents and a grayish white apron tied tightly around her small waist. Her hair was normally pulled back into a low bun but she decided to wear it down today, which was rare to see her in.

She smiled at the fifteen year old and leaned down. "I have a surprise for you, Miss Davis."

Amelia smiled as she followed the young maid downstairs. But Irina stopped in the hallway to the kitchen as the loud voices of Amelia's mother and father echoed throughout the house.

Amelia covered her ears, not wanting to hear them arguing. Irina quickly ushered Amelia upstairs to her room and was met by Richard on the staircase.

"Would you be a dear and stay with her for now?" Irina whispered, pulling Richard close. "It's seems her parents are arguing over money once again and I left a present for Miss Davis in the library."

"Of course," Richard, the older gentleman known as the Davis's butler, turned to Amelia, taking her by the shoulders, "come now, dear. Let's go find you a book."

Amelia nodded, letting the old man lead her to her room. Irina huffed as she headed downstairs to the library. She passed the arguing couple in the kitchen towards the library. She opened the double wide doors and closed them tightly behind her. She let out a heavy breath as she headed to the back of the room where she left a small white box on one of the shelves.

"Amelia, dear," Richard opened his arms as he sat next to her on her bed, "it'll be okay."

Amelia leaned into the butlers arms, crying as he stroked the top of her head. "Everything will be alright."

"Why must they argue all the time?" She rubbed her eyes.

"I'm not sure," Richard admitted, "I wish I could tell you."

A soft knock at the door caused the man to look up. Irina stood there, holding a small box in her hand with a smile. She walked towards the duo and sat next to Amelia on the other side.

"This is the present for you." She held out the box.

Amelia took it in her hands and opened the lid. Inside was a small gold chain with a sapphire in the center.

"She gave it to me and told me I could sell it for money to get by," Amelia looked up at Arthur, "but I couldn't. And I don't think I ever could. The old chain broke, so I got this one in replacement for it."

"It is a beautiful little thing," Arthur chuckled, "but I understand."

Amelia looked out her bedroom window. She watched as rain pelted against it. She remembered the night it was like this when she left home. She had looked back at Richard and Irina once last time before boarding the train. They both had tears streaming down their cheeks as they watched her sit in her seat. She couldn't bear to look at them as the train rolled past them. But she wished she had looked back one last time.

Little did she know that when she left, they had also left. They couldn't stand to be in the house as long as Amelia was gone. Richard had given her parents a sob story about men who kidnapped her while in the garden. They believed him, and they kept up with the lie until they left, claiming that without Amelia, the house was darkened without a light to shine. Her parents understood and sent him off with effortless care.

Irina left that day too. She packed her things and left that night after everyone went to bed. She left a letter in the kitchen before she took a stagecoach to Ohio. She was never seen or heard from again. But Amelia had heard word that she was doing well for herself. She had a baby boy with a priest, and she was happy with her husband and child. Amelia had contemplated several times about writing to her, but she never did. She questioned herself every time she thought about it.

"I miss her so much," Amelia sighed, "her and Richard."

Arthur hummed. "I understand."

Amelia looked up at the brawn outlaw. "You must think I'm crazy."

Arthur looked down at her. "What the hell for?"

"Being the way I was towards my parents."

He shrugged. "You had every right to be angry at them," he shifted his standing position, leaning against a wall, "they hurt you, Amelia. That's something no child should endure."

Amelia shrugged in response and looked down at the necklace around her neck. "It's odd to think that my parents didn't really care about me," she looked up at him. "They weren't like that when I was young. I don't remember much, but I do remember some. My daddy used to play with me all the time in the garden. My momma always brought me beautiful dresses and presents." She let out a breath. "Everything changed when I turned thirteen. That's when they became addicted to drugs and alcohol."

"Stuff like that happens," Arthur looked down at the floorboards, "only thing you can really do is accept the fact that it happened."