Chapter 39

Amelia wandered near the stables in Strawberry. She was carrying her saddle and dropped it near the doors. The stable owner came out and smiled.

"Hello Miss," he laid a pitchfork down, "what can I do for you?"

"I'm in need of a horse," she said as she wiped her calloused hands on her pants, "last one died. Snake got ahold of him."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he gestured inside, "come, have a look. We just got some beauties in."

"Is my saddle okay out here?" She pointed down at it.

"Why don't you bring it in?"

Amelia bent down and picked it up. She followed the stable owner inside and laid it down on a table. She let out a breath and looked around.

"These are our new horses. We have a couple Thoroughbreds, a Black Chestnut Male, and a Brindle Female." He led her to another stall. "This is our Skewbald Gypsy Cob, Female. And then we have three Missouri Fox Trotters. A Male Buckskin Brindle, a Female Dapple Grey, and a Female Black Tovero."

Amelia looked around, looking each horse up and down. She stopped in front of the Skewbald Gypsy Cob. "How much for her?"

"Five hundred and fifty."

Amelia walked over to her saddle and dug through her saddle bag before finding a wad of cash. She counted it and handed it to the stable owner. "Here, and a little extra for treats."

He took the cash and opened the stall. He took the horse by the reins and led her out. Amelia smiled at the horses size. Her brown and white coat was beautiful and shiny. The stable owner handed Amelia the reins and she took them. She looked into her blue eyes, matching her own.

"Oh, you're beautiful girl," Amelia said softly as she patted the horses forehead. The stable owner approached her as she walked over to her saddle with a brown bag.

"Would you like some help?" He asked as Amelia picked up the saddle.

"No," she walked over to the horse and threw the saddle over her back. She reached underneath to grab the strap and hooked it underneath. She tightened it and pulled on the horn, making sure it was in place and tight enough. She hummed in satisfaction and turned to the stable owner. He handed her the bag of treats.

"Thank you," she said as she took the bag and looked inside. Carrots, sugar cubes, apples, and oatcakes. She looked up at the stable owner and smiled. "Have a good day."

"You too, Miss."

Amelia brought the reins around her new horses head and led her out of the stables. She grabbed the treats from the bag and stuck them in the saddle bag and looked up at the horse.

She hummed. "What should we name you?" She brought the horses reins around to the front and used the horn as leverage to climb up. It was night time and she stared up at the stars.

"How about," she looked down at the horse, "Astrid?"

She whinnied and looked up at Amelia. A twinkle in her eyes gave her the answer.

"Astrid it is." She patted her neck.

———————————————————————————

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Amelia crouched down and looked up at Arthur. "What do I do?"

Arthur growled and walked over to the coach. He opened the door and grabbed the man by the collar, dragging him outside the coach. "Money, where is it?"