Chapter 94

"Nicholas!" Amelia called after her son. "Nicholas Hugh!"

"Ma, I just need a minute-"

"You ain't getting a minute!" She replied harshly. "Come here."

"Ma, seriously-"

"I'm serious too."

Nick grumbled as he walked over to his mother. He stood in front of her, his figure towering over hers. She stared up at him and let out a breath. "It isn't your fault."

"I'm the older brother, I'm supposed to protect her!"

"And how are you supposed to protect her if you don't know what she's doing?" Amelia placed her hands on her hips.

"I don't know." He began to turn away but Amelia quickly grabbed his arm.

"Don't do that," she said, "you do stupid things when you're angry just like your damn father."

"How do you expect me to feel?" He asked. "My sister was shot! She was hurt, and I wasn't there to protect her!"

"You couldn't protect her from her choices, Nick!" Amelia yelled. "She made the choice to go after that bounty! She made that choice and she had to suffer the consequences! There's nothing you could've done!"

Nick sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair. He shook his head as he turned away from his mother. "I should've gone with her." He mumbled shakily.

Amelia sighed softly as she turned his body towards her. She reached up and stroked his cheek as she smiled weakly. "I'm glad you didn't, sweetheart. I don't know what I would've done if both of you were shot. I already couldn't handle seeing Erika that way, so imagine what would've happened if both of you were shot."

Nick snickered. He laid a hand over his mother's on his cheek. She pulled his face down and kissed his cheek. "Come on, let's go see your sister."

He nodded and followed her back inside.

———————————————————————————

"Hm," Nick scratched his chin as he looked over his cards, "I think I'll raise you." He placed some poker chips in the middle.

"Oh, you dupek," Erika mumbled.

"Excuse me?" Amelia's head snapped over to her.

Arthur hid his face as he held back his laughter. Nick snorted as he stared at his father. Hosea chuckled lightly at the two Morgan's. Abigail was confused as was John.

"He raised me!" Erika said defensively.

"That doesn't mean you call him an asshole, he's your brother." Amelia replied.

"He's bein an asshole!" Erika said with a laugh.

Amelia stared at her daughter wide eyed before laughing. Arthur couldn't hold it back and bursted out with laughter.

"Fair enough." Amelia said through her laughter.

"Ma!" Nick scolded.

"Hey," Amelia smiled at him, "I don't wanna hear it, you can be an asshole at times."

"I am not-"

"Really?" Abigail raised her eyebrow at her nephew. "Don't even try and pull that, young man."

Nick huffed as he shook his head with a smile.

"Well," Erika began, "luckily for you, everyone else already folded, so, I call." She placed her chips in the middle.