Chapter 71

Nine year old Nicholas bolted of out of his Aunt Abigail and Uncle John's house. Eight year old Erika quickly followed behind her older brother, laughing as he ran towards their barn. Amelia watched out of the window as her kids ran into the barn. Jack, who was thirteen, was already out there taking care of the horses, so Amelia didn't have much to worry about.

She shook her head with a smile as she turned back around. She sat down on the loveseat and took in a deep breath. Arthur came in from the kitchen and sat down across from her. Charles was on the porch watching the perimeter of Beecher's Hope while Abigail was making lunch. Arthur had been in the kitchen sneaking bites of food while Abigail swatted at him with a wooden spoon.

"Amelia!" Abigail yelled as Arthur quickly jogged towards the living room with a chuckle. "Get your husband before I do!"

Amelia stood and smacked Arthur lightly on the arm. "Stay out of the food." She said with a smile. She walked towards the kitchen and leaned on the counter next to Abigail. "He does that to me too."

"He's gonna get a spoon to the face if he keeps doin that." She growled.

"I give you full permission." Amelia chuckled and patted her shoulder. "How's Jack doin?"

"Jack is Jack." She sighed. "Being like his father. His anger, my attitude," Abigail laughed, "you wanna take him for the day? Give me and John a break?"

Amelia looked over at her with a raised eyebrow. "I have an eight and nine year old to take care of. I think a thirteen year old might stress Arthur out more."

Abigail sighed and looked over at her. Amelia shook her head and laughed. "You know what? I think you two could use a break." She began making her way back to the living room. She leaned down and kissed Arthur's cheek. "We're taking Jack for the night." She mumbled in his ear.

"What?" Arthur shot up off the couch and stared down at her. "Since when?"

"Since now." Amelia crossed her arms. "Abigail and John need a break. The least we can do is take Jack for the night."

"Nick and Erika-"

"Will be happy to have their older cousin spend the night."

"But-"

"We're taking him and that's final." She raised her eyebrow at him, signaling him that fighting back was useless. He let out a groan and plopped down on the couch, dropping his head into his hands. Amelia snickered as she made her way to the front door.

"Hey, Charles." She said with a smile. She walked down the steps of the front porch.

"Amelia." He nodded his head to her. "Hey! Have you seen Sadie around at all?"

Amelia stopped and turned around. "Not recently," she looked up at him, "why?"

He shrugged. "Just wondering."

Amelia made her way to the barn where the three kids were. She walked in to find Erika watching Jack closely as he milked a cow. Nick was sitting on a hay bale in front of a stall that held a Thoroughbred. Amelia smiled as she watched Jack.

"You're doin good." Amelia said with a smile.

Jack turned his head and smiled. "Hey, Aunt Amelia."

"How do you feel about coming to spend the night with me and your Uncle Arthur?"

Jack sat up straight and turned to face his Aunt. "I think it'll be fun. Why?"