XVII

I honestly didn't know why I was alive and I wasn't going to stay alive to find out.

I might as well join my mother since there's nothing I have here anymore. I found the exit to the roof and stood there, contemplating if this was really the right choice.

I scoffed. There was really no right choice... just permanent escape and this house.

I finally made my way to the top of the mansion, the wind blew my hair backward as I took a huge sniff.

Freedom smelt heavenly.

I stood at the edge of the roof... just wondering.

What if I fell? Would it be over? Would I finally find peace?

"You seem relaxed, Princess." I was startled but I didn't change my position,

My face relaxed into a façade of no emotions.

"What are you doing here?" I asked calmly,

"Watching." He replied,

I didn't say anything, I didn't feel like speaking to him.

"Is your uncle a problem I need to take care of?" He suddenly asked out of the blue,

I immediately knew the uncle he was referring to. But the flaw in this reasoning was - how did he know?

I voiced out my thoughts.

"That wasn't the question I asked." He strolled up to me leisurely and grabbed my face with his right hand, firmly, but not strong enough to hurt.

"I expect an answer when I ask you a question, Princess."

Bitter memories flooded through my head at that particular request. I tore myself out of his grip and stared into his light eyes.

"Everything is fine."

"Yet, we're here." He gestured,

"Don't tell me how to feel, don't you think you've done enough?" I turned around and went to the edge again,

My voice came out hoarse, "I feel like she died for her sins." I didn't bother to look at Damien,

"Her sins?" He echoed,

"Yeah." I let out a small laugh, "Her sin, rather. Because her only sin was giving birth to me."

"Hm." I could feel his presence behind me and his body vibrated with that single hum, "Tell me a sin, Princess."

"Hers?"

"Yours."

His lips stretched into a playful smirk as he leaned in closer to my ear, his hot breath fanning over the shell.
I quickly draw in a harsh breath, my mind racing. His hand travelled down from my shoulder, tracing along my spine until it reached the curve of my ass.

"Who hurt you, Roxanne? Or rather, who did you hurt?" My eyes widened slightly at his words, but I didn't pull away from him. He had a certain way he spoke. Like he knew.

Of course, he did, he broke into my home for crying out loud!

Instead, I took a deep breath before speaking.

"I...my mom... I hated her. Despised her." At my confession, Damien's grip tightened ever so slightly around my waist, pulling me against his hard body. His other hand moved up to cup my cheek, turning my face towards him.

"Hate is a strong word., he murmured, his voice low and husky. He gave me a gentle squeeze before releasing me. 

"I'm just so tired." And for the first time...I felt truly vulnerable,