46| Alright, I'll teach you

'You know just how to make my heartbeat faster
Emotional earthquake, bring on disaster
You hit me head on, got me weak in my knees
Yeah something's inside me's changed
I was so much younger yesterday
So much younger yesterday'

~Starving by Hailee, grey and Zedd

A B R A H A M

Thirteen years ago

"So this is the kid you've donated your sperm to? Good, good. You gotta loose those glasses kid, if you wanna work here."

Dad ushers me inside the office as his eyes crinkle with mirth, "Stop bullying my son, Ivy." Although his words are serious, his voice is anything but.

The woman- Ivy, too has a playful glint in her eyes. She's...simply put, beautiful. Her dirty blond hair is waist-length and is kept open, as she tucks them behind her ear gently grinning at me.

For a moment I am blindsided by the intensity of her sage green eyes.

Dad had filled me in on the team members today morning over breakfast. I needed to get familiar with them.

Ivy and Samuel are junior officers. They are seven-eight years younger than dad and Willy. Which brings Ivy to her early thirties. Yet, she doesn't look like it. She'd very easily pass to be a decade younger.

I had seen how men in the building looked at her. But unfortunately for them, she very proudly sported the ring on her ring finger and didn't give them the time of her day. She only had eyes for one man- her husband.

I haven't seen her from this close before. But now that I do, I realise why those men were after her. She's the conventional definition of beautiful.

"Oh shut up Jacob. I ain't bullying." She shushes dad. Then walks towards me and sits on the table nearest to me, with one leg on the ground and the other perched on the table top. "Do you feel like I'm bullying you, kid?"

Although I am seldom among people, and real bad with interactions I know a sarcasm when I hear one. The problem is I don't know how to answer.

"No." I say simply.

"Brilliant." She says with that pretty smirk plastered on her face. "Let's get to know each other, shall we?"

I don't answer because I don't think she wants one.

That was clearly the wrong thing to do because the air stifles with awkwardness.

Ivy, thankfully, doesn't bother about awkwardness at all. She continues in her chirpy voice, "How old are you, again?"

"Nineteen."

"Ooh. Still a teen I see. You sure he'd be able to handle our shit Jacob?" She turns towards dad.

Dad chuckles. "Don't let his glasses, the shirt buttoned up to his neck and dress pants give you the false idea. My boy is a genuis in the lab."

"No doubt there, Jake. Just that..." she looks back towards me, "don't you think you should maybe let your son go out a little? Have fun like the guys his age? Loose those glasses, open a few buttons for starters? Our men would chew him up before he even got to face the field."

"He's free to go to any party he likes. I don't stop him." Dad shrugs.

Ivy turns back to me. "You don't like partying? Girls and alcohol?"