22 | Isabella and him

E L L O R A

"Ellora!"

I was just about to take a step up the stairs when I hear that voice. I turn around, retreating my foot back, just as Mr. Blackwood approaches me.

"Good morning Mr. Blackwood." I wish.

"Nothing about this morning is good for me. Did I not tell you to wait for me? I told you not to walk with your leg especially since we had a heavy snowfall last night." he says clearly annoyed.

"Its fine. I manged quite well on my own." To make my point clear, I point at my leg, "Er..see my leg is still intact. And anyways I don't want you to waste time coming around my house to pick me up everyday."
Okay, so this is not the reason at all. The truth is I had completely forgotten about him picking me up. Since yesterday night my mind has been constantly occupied by my apparent hallucinations about my saviour in the car accident. Mr. Blackwood's proposal of bringing me to classes had completely left my mind. Not that I am confessing this to him any time.

His expression softens at my words. "It isn't wasting my time Ellora. I genuinely want to drive you off to classes myself everyday. I want to ensure your safety personally. Today you managed doesn't mean the same everyday. From tomorrow, you're travelling in my car, alright?"

I simply nod not knowing what else to say. His words yesterday 'I will be paying for your everything from a few months from now...' is still at the back of my mind, although I kept it to ponder for another day. One problem at a time.

"May I atleast drop you to your classes m'lady?"

I smile up at him at the attempted tease behind his voice and silently nod again.

As I mount the stairs with his help, I feel a pair of eyes burning holes through my head before I even turn around.

But there is no one.

As I turn around, I find absolutely no one looking at me. My eyes skim through the corridor to find students talking, laughing, walking in groups. A few of them wishes Mr. Blackwood on their way and some of them eyes my leg barely once before going back to minding their own business.

Suddenly my eyes lands and stops on a certain someone. He is walking in slow steps explaining something to the group of girls surrounding him, who are hanging from his every word as if he is revealing the secret to ageing.

I slow down my steps taking in his appearance, the usual duster, dress pants, the bandana around his neck, and his hair tied in the same small pony tail. I expect him to maybe stop and approach me or even spare me a glance. Any sign from him that he was there yesterday with me while I lay under the crashed car is suffice to calm my hyper-disturbed mind. I don't want yesterday's memories to be my hallucinations - no matter how bitter sweet they were.

Disappointment courses through me as he does none. He walks right past me without sparing me a single glance, speaking calmly to his group of girls slash admirers. Infact the girls cast a pitiful look on my hand clasped around the crutch before going back to listening to him. But not him. Not even a sign that the girl he saved yesterday, who also happens to be his student and ex-assistant is standing right beside him with a broken leg.

Immersed in my thoughts I don't realise as my grip on the crutch falters and I trip.

"Ellora, take care." Mr. Blackwood says as he holds me preventing me from falling.

I raise my head - last I see Professor Langdon turning the corner still immersed in answering the girls' questions.

No look at me.