Part 18: Mafia

Jackson's POV:

"What do you want me to do?" I ask my dad. I still can't believe he wants me to join the mafia. The worst thing is that I will have to do it, even if I don't want to. This is what it's like to have a father like mine.

"I need you to join the mafia, Jackson, and it's not a question, you need to do this, for your and Kai's safety." My ears can't be hearing this. I'm being forced to join by my own father. Yes, I know he's the boss of the mafia, but still. I don't think it's as safe as he says it is. I've seen him come back home when I was a kid with busted lips and knuckles.

"But you're definitely going to have to heal first, I don't want you to involved whilst you're in the hospital, hurt." He says in a serious tone, he is not joking around.

"Alright, remind me, why do I have to do this?" I ask another question, his face gets a bit pink. I can tell he isn't liking having to answer all my questions. Me asking even one question is pissing him off, my father doesn't like being questioned.

"Well, I don't want to be worrying about you.. this will also make you closer to me as I will be your boss. I definitely know that you'll have some sort of protection.. well you and Kai. I just know I won't have to worry about this kind of thing happening again." My dad was talking about the Axel situation, as well as the one right now.

"So.. you're saying that I need to improve my fighting skills as well as learn how to keep out of danger?"

"Indeed, son. I want you to make Kai feel safe and protected whenever she goes out. I have some men targeting me right now, that's another reason why you need to learn how to stay in the shadows, like me. If I was to hear about anything happen to you or your sister, my life would be over. That will never happen though, not while I'm still alive. Listen, I know what's best for you Jack, I'm trying to tell you right now, so join the mafia."

"Mhm. Okay then, I'll start as soon as I'm healed."

"Great, see you soon Jack, and good luck." He walks over to Kai, I just realised that she's still here so I sit up in my hospital bed abruptly, causing the nurses to crowd me and tell me to calm down.

"I'm trying to see my sister." I take a glance at Kai and I see my father giving her a kiss on the forehead, then leaving. She sighs and rests back in her bed, then looking at me. 

"You alright lil sis?" I ask her.

"Yeah.. I-i think so."

"What happened?" I could tell she was upset, I just needed to figure out what it was. The stuttering made me even more suspicious of her. Something wasn't right. I had a feeling that she lost something really important to her.

"It's not important." She says, trying to stop me from asking questions and worrying about her.

"Yes, it is. I can see that something is up, could you please tell me what it is?" I ask her for the final time.

"It's uh- my baby..." She starts to cry. I'm worried about her.

"Hm? What about your baby? They're still alive, right?"

"No, Jack, it was a girl.. that passed away." She says in between crying.

"What? That can't be possible."

"Yes, it is possible, he shot me right in the stomach, where my baby's head was, I'm lucky that I survived honestly."

Hearing her being upset made me get out of my bed, not caring about the nurses, and sit down on her bed, next to her.

"I don't care that I have to be in bed. I'm spending time with my sister right now. I suggest you get out of the room."

They look at me blankly, and do as I say. As soon as they leave the room I hug Kai, trying to make her feel like she can tell me anything, and cry it out whilst I'm here for her. She hugs me back, making sure she doesn't hurt her stomach. I then pull out of the hug and talk to her.

"Feeling a bit better?" I ask her.

"Yeah. Thanks, Jack."

"But.. you didn't even do anything to your mum's boyfriend, why did he shoot you?"

"I'm not sure.. I just entered the house and bang. He shot me when my mum went upstairs. I don't even think she cared that much. She knew that we were inseparable and took advantage of it."

"Yeah.. I think she did do that. I'm sorry for everything, Kai. You don't deserve this."

"Mhm.. you tell me, what happened to you?"

"Jay shot me and stabbed me, but it's alright, don't worry. I don't plan on speaking to him soon."

"Good, I never liked him."

I laugh once she says that, and then hug her again, not wanting to leave her alone ever again.

~ After they were healed and safely at home ~

It's been a week since I've been at the hospital. Time has been moving so quickly. I have been attending loads of different mafia parties, and honestly, they weren't that bad. I'm just getting ready for another one when Kai knocks on my bedroom door.

"Hmm.. dressing up again I see?" she says.

"Yeah, I'm invited to another dinner, I won't be long though, I promise."

"Yeah, you better not take long, I want food."

"Ask Z, she can make you something"

"I don't want to pressure her."

"Mhm.. I'll let you order something then."

She jumps up and down, excited to order something, I give her some money and she gladly takes it. We both go downstairs, she goes to the living room while I walk to the front door.

"I'll be back soon, have fun you two." I give Z a smile and wave a 'bye' to Kai, she waves back.

"Bye, have fun." Z says.

I close the front door and go to the mafia dinner that I'm meant to attend.