X X X I

"OKAY, I know why Kyle is here. But why did he have to join us?"

Callum was shooting a nasty glare towards Ero, who was standing against the wall of Vulara's cellar, not partaking in the training. Instead, he was watching with a sly little grin, aimed straight at Callum as if to spook him.

Vulara grunted in response. "I agree. Andorra, you know how I feel about outsiders."

Andorra leaned over at the waist, wiping the sweat from her brow. She eyed both Callum and Ero, deciding whether or not it was even worth it to bother with the two of them. Having Kyle's presence was already enough of a headache.

"He wanted to see what we were up to. I didn't see an issue with it. We already know who he's spying for, and we already know what he'll report. Him seeing me train isn't really going to change his thoughts."

Ero was his own beast to handle. Andorra wasn't particularly keen on having the Prince around, but her words were true: Ero already had an opinion about whether or not she was fit to rule. It would be pretty hard pressed to change that, unless he spent more time around her. Around all of them. And knowing now that he was a spy for Averotho, it eased some of her concerns about the Spring Court.

Besides, if Ero was going to invite her to Averotho as his guest, Andorra needed to earn some of his trust. She figured letting Ero join in on the training sessions was a harmless way to achieve that.

"I don't like it," Callum seethed.

"Well, you're not the Queen," Ero responded, his voice smug. He crossed his arms with the raise of his brow. Callum had to physically stop himself from launching at Ero with intent to murder. He kept his hands to himself, but couldn't seem to stop his shadows from pouring out.

Ero turned away from Callum, not seeming to care about the show of shadows that swept across the floor, pooling around his ankles. Ero let his wings stretch out in a little flutter, his grin hardening. "He has a little bit more of a bite when compared to your other guard."

Andorra stood across from Kyle, but she cut her eyes to Ero. "Well, I would say Oberon has no bite. So, yeah."

"What's the deal? My father has rows and rows of guards. Back home is flooded with them. Yet you... have two? And a few others stationed around the castle? What's the reason for that?"

Andorra turned back to Kyle, determination in the set of her jaw. She would rather not have this sort of conversation in front of Kyle, who was already a leech, nevermind a back stabbing idiot with enough ulterior motives to send anyone running.

But, Andorra didn't want to write him off. Her first friend, sort of. Even if it was fake, especially since it was fake, she wanted to give Kyle a chance to become more. More than the failed seeker, more than the scrappy little teen he'd been when given the task of saving his entire clan.

Because, despite what Kyle had done, Andorra saw herself in him. Saw herself in the way Kyle had been forced to bring the Sun fae back to Anlithamy, knowing that it all came down to what she would choose.

Andorra knew a thing or two about immense pressure being put on your shoulders, whether you liked it or not. And when she looked at Kyle, she saw him for what he was: a person who was idolized to do something that was nearly impossible.

And nothing hurt worse than the fall from grace when you didn't become the hero you were forced to be.

Andorra wasn't forgiving him, not really. But she understood him. Walked a very similar line, dealt with very similar feelings, felt the same sort of anxiety that came with not wanting to let others down.