I

THE SUMMER sun was high in the sky, beaming down on the citizens of the Summer Court. Music was in the air, and a scattering of children were dancing amongst the fields.

Andorra spun with the music as well, the hem of her gown swirling around her ankles. In just a few hours, it would mark the end of Sunnandæg, and then she would have to return to the Royal Court. But, for a few more hours, she could be no one except Andy, a sun fae.

Eve wasn't dancing, but she was standing nearby, snacking on fruit. "You have no clue how happy you've made my father," she said. Her own hair was styled longer, glowing in the sunlight. Andorra didn't ask Eve how she could adjust the length of her hair on a whim, and Eve never brought it up.

"He's made me happy by inviting me," Andorra said on an exhale, slumping on the ground next to Eve. She pressed a hand to her racing heart, feeling it beneath her fingertips. She couldn't really remember the last time she had danced like that, wild and carefree.

"You're Queen," Eve said in a duh tone. "You're invited everywhere."

Andorra leaned up on her elbows. "Still. The Summer Court is a home I've never gotten to really know. I appreciate that Desmond wants me to embrace my heritage. Not every Court is as kind."

Eve snorted. "Who cares about Princess Eolande. She'll get what's coming to her. Karma and all that."

Andorra didn't have the heart to tell Eve that she cared about whether or not Princess Eolande liked her.

"What time are we expected at your house for gifts?"

Eve tossed the core of her apple on the ground, dusting off her hands. "Probably now." Then, she looked up and gave the middle finger to the far distance. "Why is Callum standing and observing so far away, that freak?"

Andorra looked towards where Eve was flipping off a figure in the distance. She gave a playful roll of her eyes as she stood up, fixing the skirt and straps of her gown. Then, she ran her fingers through her hair, freeing it of debris. "He's convinced you're mad at him. And giving the middle finger probably isn't helping."

"He's such a loser." Eve began walking back towards the main road, Andorra following. As they walked away from the music, it dimmed and became a quiet noise in the background, all done by the magic of the land. Something Andorra was still becoming used to.

"A loser, but at least he keeps me alive." It was humor in Andorra's tone. She wasn't sure where she would be without Callum, and her feelings towards him were deeper than strangers. He was her friend. Maybe even her best friend, all things considered.

After all, she spent most of her time with him. Even Oberon, her head guard, spent time checking and fussing over the perimeter, over the castle, over the entire Royal Court, which left her alone many times.

Although, despite how much she enjoyed Callum's presence in her life, he wasn't really the man she wanted to be alone with for all hours of her day.

"I can hear you, you know." Callum's voice was bratty as he caught up to them, and Andorra elbowed him in the ribs.

"You don't need to hide like a creep," Andorra reminded him as they entered the town center. There were more fae here, bustling around. Some were dancing in the streets. Some were eating. Some were talking amongst each other.

Andorra found it charming that no one worked on Sunnandæg. A true break to worship all the sun had given them.

"I'm not really welcomed here." Callum eyed the Summer fae as they walked through the town. His eyes lingered on a few fae that were openly staring.