V I I I

ANDORRA WAS staring. It was hard not to, when she felt as though her eyes were playing tricks on her. Roseria? She had not expected to find Roseria in the Dryads territory. The recipe burned in her pocket, and she prayed that Roseria would not realize what was so close to her.

Andorra wanted to put her hand in her pocket, just to make sure the recipe was safe, but she couldn't do anything that may raise suspicion. Instead, she focused her eyes around the throne room, taking in the sight of branches weaving together to create the walls. They grew up to the ceiling, and string lights were draped across them, softening the room. It was large enough to host dozens of guests, but what drew her eye the most was the leader.

Fraseri stood from his throne, bending at the waist to bow to her. She could see that his crown was woven into the silky strands of his orange hair. His skin was dark, but not the texture of bark, like the dryads that had brought her there. She saw that he wore a tunic made from autumnal leaves. When he stepped down from the throne, Andorra noted that he was only slightly taller than the others, barely coming up to her rib cage.

Despite his child-like height, his face was worn and weathered. Andorra was almost afraid to know how old he was.

"My Queen. What brings you here?" His tone was pleasant enough, but Andorra didn't quite feel trusting. "Pyatt, there are some new developments. Roseria is here." She felt her heart begin to quicken, but the smile on her face remained calm, in control.

"I was on my way to visit an old friend when I stumbled upon some of your people. They insisted I stop by. This place is magnificent." Andorra let her eyes wander around the room for a second time, noting the leaves and flowers tucked in between branches. Vines dangled, close enough for her to reach and touch.

"Well, it is an honor! And you picked a wonderful time to visit. It's the week of reaping!"

Andorra did not know what that meant. A spike of fear found its way into her chest, but she tried to shake it off. Reaping couldn't be a bad thing. Win was a reaper fae, afterall. Her smile stayed in place. "I'd love to learn more about this week of reaping. If you have the time to divulge."

Andorra had given up any real hope of seeing the Rumplewren after this. She wouldn't have enough daylight to do so, and it made more sense to come back with Nohx in tow.

Which begged the question: Where was he?

"Surely you learn better by seeing, my Queen. Come, we were just getting ready for the viewing. There's quite a crop this year." Fraseri turned back to Roseria, who stood by the throne, unmoving. When Fraseri looked back at her, she offered him a sweet smile.

The kind of smile she had given Andorra that first day they met.

"Come, Roseria. You are no stranger, but I am sure you will find delight in it."

The three of them left the throne room through a different tunnel. Andorra let Roseria enter before her, keenly aware of what the pink haired fae was capable of. Andorra wanted nothing more than to grasp onto Roseria and bring her back to the castle, but she had to get through whatever this was first.

"I'm quite shocked to see you here," Roseria purred into the darkness of the tunnel. "I'm sure you're feeling similarly about seeing me."

Andorra didn't bother replying. Now that they were in the dark, she felt around in her pocket, gripping the recipe safely in the palm of her hand. She didn't trust Roseria not to pickpocket her, even if she didn't realize what Andorra held in her possession.

"You're going to love this little show," Roseria continued. "It's quite barbaric for your human ways."

Andorra stiffened. Barbaric? A million thoughts raced across her mind as they stepped through another doorway, this time to the outside. A deck of sorts was carved into the bark, and the three of them stepped onto it. Andorra took in the sights of the Woodland Forest around her, hearing the sound of growth rustling in the breeze. She watched as Fraseri started towards what looked like a makeshift ladder, and then Andorra realized his intentions.