𝐥𝐱𝐢 ~ 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐬𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐲

~ Neil finds a poem Todd is planning on giving you ~

ψ

Todd chews on the eraser of his pencil, pondering the next line of his poem. "'Admiration' . . . no, no, that's stupid. Um . . . 'Utter awe' . . . yeah, yeah, that's better."

As soon as he scribbles in the last line, the door creaks open and Neil thumps in, his hair dusted with snow. He had been outside with Mr. Keating, having one of their many talks about poetry and his love for acting, something Neil's father prohibited.

Feeling a bolt of embarrassment and fear, Todd stuffs the paper into his pocket and shifts to conceal the lump that is his love poem.

Neil, who has witnessed this uncomfortable shift, eyes Todd curiously. "What's going on, buddy? You alright?"

Todd nods and tosses his pencil and notebook away from him. Immediately, Neil realizes what he's hiding. "You wrote a poem, didn't you? You wrote a poem!"

"Shh, not so loud!" he shouts, blushing red. "And no, I did not. I was just . . . thinking."

"About [Name]?" Neil asks with a wiggle of his eyebrows. Todd blushes even worse and shifts again, exposing the tip of his poem through his pocket. Neil, seeing this, realizes he was right and lunges for the paper. Todd grabs at the air, but misses the poem entirely.

"Ooh, what's this?" Neil asks, reading the first few lines. Gasping in shock, his eyes glimmer with mischief. "A love poem?!"

"Shut up!" Todd hisses, standing from his bed and chasing after Neil. The two race in circles around their small room, causing quite a clamor. All the while, Neil reads the poem and speaks a few of the best bits aloud, causing Todd to grab his shoulder and snatch the poem from him.

"What's going on in here?" a voice calls from the doorway. The two boys, both poised on top of Todds bed with the paper gripped in Todd's fingers, look towards the sound and spot you, looking a little concerned.

"What are you guys doing?" you ask again, and Todd immediately turns shy and pink.

"Um, uh . . . We were just—" Todd stammers, quickly interrupted by Neil, who grabs the paper and hands it to you.

"Here," he says kindly, sending a wink to Todd, who looks absolutely consumed by fear. "I think you'll enjoy this poem Todd wrote for you."