𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 ~ 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐰𝐬𝐞𝐫, 𝐦.𝐝.

~ Doogie after failing to talk to you again ~

ψ

Everyone at the hospital knows that Doogie is practically in love with you, his best friend other than Vinnie as well as a teenage doctor. The two of you met through college and quickly became competitive yet friendly.

"Today's the day, Curly," he says confidently, combing his fingers through his hair and adjusting is striped blue tie. "Today's the day."

"Oh really?" Curly says, almost laughing at her coworker's overconfidence. She was very familiar with his other failed attempts as he immediately ran to her afterward to ask for advice on improvement.

"Yes, and this time, it's actually going to happen."

"You do realize she won't want to talk to anyone, right?" Curly asks, trailing after Doogie as he marches down the hallway towards one of the operation rooms, where you will soon exit. "She just removed a tumor from a little girl and you think she's going to want to be plagueed with you asking her on a date?"

Doogie ignores Curly anyway and turns the corner to the operation hall, his eyes set on the door where you are finishing up inside. Curly, excited to see his reaction, ducks around a rolling hospital bed and watches intently as the door opens and you burst out, ripping your surgical mask off as well as your scrub cap, rubbing your tired eyes and throwing your used gloves in a trash can nearby.

"Hey, Dr. [Last Name]," Doogie says, deciding to take a more professional approach.

"Doog, you don't gotta call me that," you answer, sounding drained to say the least. "What's up?"

Doogie takes a deep breath and you face him, your eyebrow raised. He notices the dark circles under your eyes and how dry your lips look and realizes he picked a bad time, however it's too late now for this realization.

"Um, well — I was wondering if maybe—" Doogie stammers, blushing heavily and running his hand through his hair again to start over. "Listen I . . ."

"No offense, Doog, but we gotta make this quick because my lunch break is over in twenty six minutes," you say, glancing at your wrist watch.

Doogie sighs, knowing it's another useless effort and caves in. "Nevermind. I'll call you when I get home."

He walks away from your slightly confused form and smacks a hand to his forehead, ignoring the grin on Curly's face and grunting in annoyance. "Damit!"