026. ────── limp grasp

THEY slid across the floor, hiding behind the short walls from the hovering helicopters above. Sirens wailed around them, sparking even more anxiety into Caroline's stomach.

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally said, catching his breath. Caroline nodded before glancing over at Cecilia who had her elbows on her knees, her chest heaving.

"How far are the tunnels?" Caroline asked, dragging her eyes away from her best friend. "Uh, maybe twelve blocks from here."

Caroline nodded before loud coughing got her attention. She frowned at the sight of Newt who was getting gradually worse by the second.

"We can make it," Gally reassured, but there was a thought in the back of her mind who thought differently.

"Hey," Caroline patted Cecilia's knee, Cecilia lifted her head. "How are you feeling?"

"Oh, great." Cecilia sarcastically lifted a thumbs up, earning a deadpan stare from Caroline.

"What's wrong with you?" Ada asked softly, Cecilia shared a look with Caroline before shaking her head and patting the young girl's arm. "Don't you worry about me, I'm fine."

"See?" Cecilia got to her feet, Caroline followed her movements. Then, Cecilia rocked back and forth. Caroline reached out, grasping onto her forearm. "I'm fine," The tan girl shook her head, closing her eyes for a split second.

The others shared a look of confusion. "Perfectly fine."

"Come on, let's go." Thomas patted Caroline's shoulder as he walked past, Caroline's eyes glazed over Cecilia's figure once more before following after. Ada linked her fingers with hers.

As they walked through the city, their figures were hunched over. Suddenly, the ground shook and a deafening thunder cracked through the city.

Their faces lit up from the orange explosion a few feet away from them. "Holy shit!" Cecilia huffed, Caroline gasped softly. "We're supposed to take down Wicked, not the whole damn city."

Sirens blared loudly, sending a pinching pain through Cecilia's skull, making her wince. Caroline's brown eyes latched onto her best friend's scrunched face.

Cecilia shook her head, mouthing the words, Im fine.

Gally looked mortified.

"Gally, come on." Thomas nodded, making the buzz-cut boy drag his eyes away from the sight and continue on.

Caroline's hand shook by her side whilst her eyes remained on Cecilia's figure. She couldn't lose Cecilia, she just couldn't.

"Tunnels are right up ahead."

As they rounded a corner, Gally called out over his shoulder. "Hey! Stay low, stay low!" They quickly hid behind a large plant, Caroline's shoulders brushed against Thomas's.

"Get ready!" A voice boomed, Caroline couldn't see what was going on, making her even more nervous. "What are they waiting for?" Minho turned to look at them.

Suddenly, a loud boom was heard from behind them, answering Minho's question. "Holy───" Ada cried, shrinking into Minho's side in shock.

Loud yells were heard, Thomas shuffled back into her side, Caroline grasped onto Thomas's hand, tightly. He squeezed her hand.

"Stay down! Stay down!" Thomas ordered, using his body to shield Caroline's. "We gotta go! We gotta go!" Gally told them. "No shit!" Ada hissed, normally Caroline would of scold her for the language but she couldn't give a flying fuck right now.