19.

A/N: Wattpad is being stupid and deleting pms. If you want to keep in touch with me, I made a Discord server.

You can even get sneak peeks and notifs about updates for books like TCFB.

I'll leave a link in the inline comment here if you want to join.

Alsooo I told y'all I'd be updating more often 🤭🤭🤭 I hope you enjoy this early update! You should totally vote if you like getting more than one update in a week!!!

☂ Chapter 19 ☂

Jimin woke up to the sound of his phone ringing.

Usher's song, Yeah!, filled the room as it blasted from the small device's speakers. With a groan, Jimin sat up and let his velvet covers fall from his bare chest. His locks, which he had dyed blonde again shortly after his birthday, fell in his eyes and obstructed his vision. Not that there would be much to see anyway; his bedroom was rather bland and lacked posters or decorations. Other than his full-body mirror and mahogany dresser, there wasn't much of note around him.

Slapping his nightstand with his tired hand, he ripped his phone off the ten-foot charger and answered the call without looking to see who it was. Once the ringtone stopped and was replaced by rushed breathing on the other line, he let out a soft groan.

"It's like..." Jimin paused to glance at his digital clock and read the flashing crimson letters. "Three o'clock in the morning. If you have a case, save it-"

"Jimin," Y/n's delicate, heaving voice replied.

Just like that, he jumped to his feet and threw on his sweatpants.

"What's wrong?"

A sigh came from the other side of the line. "Can you come over?"

"Of course, I'll be there in five."

He hung up and put on a white t-shirt, then his sneakers, then his cologne. His words had been a lie. She lived fifteen minutes away from him. At that time of night, the NYC streets wouldn't be as bad, but flooded with idiot drivers and traffic jams that could be avoided if people used their turn signals. It'd take at least ten minutes.

Still, Jimin made it five because he had told her he would.

When he pulled up to her apartment complex in his cruiser, he noticed how worn down the outside was. Although he knew where she lived since it was recommended that partners knew that info, he hadn't taken the time to scout it out and observe it.

There was a dark alleyway between her brick apartment building and the next one, and in that alley were smokers handing out money and tiny bags of white powder. Jimin rolled his eyes and flashed his sirens, which caused the group of men to yelp and scamper away. They dropped the bags on the gravel and everything.

He wasn't on duty, but he reported it in over his walkie-talkie anyway, and Jungkook, ever the night owl, said he'd send troops over to investigate. Once that was taken care of, Jimin stepped out and went up the cracked stone staircase leading to the double wooden doors with black handles, though they had bright yellow stains on them he didn't want to know the origin of.

He entered and found a flickering light and broken heater in the lobby. The waiting area consisted of a flipped over seaweed green couch and a desk with a man behind it. He had his bare feet on the counter and a porn magazine in his hands. The ancient, boxy computer behind him had a broken screen and a dead rose next to it.

Jimin didn't bother talking to the man who hid his face behind the magazine. Instead, he went to the elevators and found they weren't working.