8.

A/N: I'm updating as fast as I can, it's just been difficult with college. Thank you for your patience!

Daily reminder: Jimin is attractive.

☂ Chapter 8 ☂

Hostage situations changed the way officers handled business.

Based on Y/n's experience (which she had a little over three weeks of), NYPD was less serious than she thought. They made jokes, many of them dark, to help alleviate the stress of being a cop. However, hostage situations changed them. Hoseok and Seulgi, who liked to flirt on the job, had any and all positive emotions drained from their faces. Their eyes were sagged and their shoulders slumped. It looked like Y/n had walked in on a funeral.

The basement was a sad enough sight, but Hoseok and Seulgi amplified the dread stirring inside Y/n's stomach. However, she couldn't perform her task if she let them dictate her emotions. She forced everything else aside and instead set her eyes on the pair.

"As much as I wish we did, we don't have time for a life crisis. Let's go before it's too late," she said. Her voice was louder than she was expecting. It projected around the room, and the two before her listened. Other than the old man she adored, no one had ever respected her. Not even her parents.

A long drive followed, but thanks to their sirens, they got past the NYC late-night traffic and made it to the ship with time to spare. There were countless patrol cars before them, blue and red lights flashing until her eyes burned. It smelled of seawater. There was smoke in the air, but Y/n couldn't identify if it was from a gun or a pack of cigarettes.

Hoseok and Seulgi followed Y/n's lead as she took out her pistol and crept closer to the scene. The ship she was so familiar with was anchored and next to the fishing dock. Rain pitter-pattered against the concrete leading up to the wooden boardwalk not too far away. Jimin and her had held a stakeout near the grass on the hill behind them. She had never imagined she'd get this close.

"Let the girl go!" a male officer shouted through a microphone. His deep voice echoed through the polluted air and infected Y/n's weak ears. She winced and spotted Jimin and Kasper in the crowd. How they got there before her was beyond her, but she jotted it down to them being more experienced and decided to approach.

"You know how to handle these situations?" Y/n asked as she stopped by Jimin's side.

Jimin had his gaze on the ship. The cargo bay doors were open, and in front of them was a man with a beard shaved on one side and bushy on the other. His eyes were wide, and Y/n didn't need binoculars to know there were red rims around the edges of them. Despite the locks on his chin, baldness took over the top of the man's head. A pistol was in his hand and shoved against the side of a little girl's neck. She trembled and cried, staining her pale face with moisture. Like the man, her hair was missing.

"I know the basics, but not enough to help now. We could be at this for hours. Hell, we got here late, they've already been at this for almost an hour," Jimin said.

"Why hasn't anyone shot or surrounded him?"

"We don't know his mental stability. One wrong move and that little girl dies. We'll save her, even if it takes days. He has to sleep eventually, right?"

She had to admit it wasn't a terrible plan, but not a great one either. There had to be more they could do. However, Y/n knew not to overstep. She was a rookie with much to learn, not to mention the risk of failing the mission had her insides shriveling inside themselves. The very thought made her mind hurl profanities at her.