29 || A Distorted Voice

ARABELLA

As we spilled out of the cafeteria, the laughter of my friends rang through the air, a stark contrast to the unease knotting my stomach. "I just need to grab some stuff from my locker," I told them, feigning a lightness I didn't feel. 

Noah flashed me a concerned look, Jace's eyes lingered on mine longer than necessary, Sophia gave a quick nod, and Kayden just shrugged, all of them too caught up in their own conversations to press further.

Walking away from them, the weight of solitude settled over me. The halls of the university, usually buzzing with energy, now seemed eerily quiet, echoing my footsteps like a somber drumbeat. 

Reaching my locker, I spun the combination lock, each click a sharp reminder of the façade I was maintaining.

As I pulled out the textbooks and notes I needed, my mind replayed the past few weeks. 

The fake smiles, the feigned enthusiasm, the distance I had deliberately placed between myself and those I cared most about—it all gnawed at me. 

I hated pushing them away, especially Jace, whose concern had only deepened.

 But it was necessary, a protective measure against the vague threats that had started to permeate my life. Keep them safe, I reminded myself, even if it means keeping them distant.

Locking the locker, I exhaled deeply, trying to shake off the guilt. I needed air, space to think without the confining walls of the university pressing in. As I stepped outside, the brisk wind caught me by surprise, whipping my hair across my face. I welcomed the chill; it was grounding, real in a way my forced interactions lately were not.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, breaking into my thoughts. Expecting a message from Sophia or maybe Jace checking in, I pulled it out. But the screen didn't show a familiar name. It was an unknown number. My heart sank; the uneasy feeling I'd been wrestling with all day tightened its grip. With a hesitant thumb, I answered the call.

"Hello?"

The voice that came through was distorted, mechanical almost, sending a shiver down my spine. "You're not doing enough. You need to push them away quicker. Harder, or there will be some very nasty consequences for both you and your friends ."

My breath caught in my throat. "Who is this? What do you want from me?"

The only response was a chilling laugh, then, "Just be a good girl and do as you're told, Arabella. You wouldn't want anything to happen to them, would you?" 

"I don't understand why I—"The line went dead before I could utter another word.

Terror rooted me to the spot, my phone slipping slightly from my trembling hand. I was scared, not just for myself but for Noah, Sophia, Kayden, and Jace—Jace, who had been nothing but a pillar of strength and understanding.

That's when I saw him. Jace was walking across the quad, likely having sensed that something was off after my hasty departure. He spotted me and quickened his pace, his expression one of pure concern.

As he approached, I quickly wiped the tears that had started to form, pocketing my phone like it was a venomous snake. "Hey, Jace. Sorry, didn't see you there," I managed to say, my voice shaky despite my best efforts to sound normal.

"Everything okay?" His voice was gentle, probing. I could tell he wanted to wrap me in his arms, to shield me from whatever had caused the pain he saw in my eyes.

"Yeah, it's fine. Just family stuff, you know how it is." The lie tasted bitter on my tongue.

Jace nodded, though his eyes told me he didn't believe a word. "If you need to talk—"

I cut him off, afraid that any more pressure would crumble the fragile barrier I was maintaining. "Thanks, but I'm okay. Really. Let's not let it spoil the afternoon, okay?"

His gaze lingered on mine, searching, always searching for the truth I was too afraid to share. "Okay, but remember, I'm here. Whenever you're ready."

His words were a lifeline, but also a reminder of what I needed to do. I needed to protect him, even if it meant breaking my own heart in the process.

"I know. Thanks, Jace. I'm lucky to have you," I replied, squeezing his hand briefly.

We resumed walking, heading towards Jace's car. I could feel his eyes on me, watching with a mix of love and concern. 

My heart ached with the knowledge of what I had to do next. Pushing him away was going to be the hardest part, but it was necessary. 

For his safety, for all their safety, I had to maintain this distance, no matter the personal cost.

As we walked in silence, I knew that each step was a step further from who I wanted to be, but also a step closer to keeping them safe. 

The dual ache of protection and separation was becoming a familiar companion, and I braced myself for what was to come, armed with nothing but resolve and fear.