Civil War - Part One

From the top of the tallest building in the Southern Water Tribe, I watched as Northern Benders erect ice walls into our port. "Um, Uncle Unalaq?" I wondered, turning to him. "Is there a reason you brought your Benders down from the Northern Tribe?"

"Now that you've opened the Southern Portal, we need to protect it from the people who would do the Spirits harm." Uncle Unalaq said.

"But the benders here in the South are capable enough, aren't they? And if need be, I can step in to protect it."

"I need you for something more important. There is another Portal, in the North. Once you open it, Spirits and Man will be able to move freely between the North and the South in a matter of seconds."

"But...with the Solstice over, I won't be able to open it, would I?"

"The spiritual energy is much stronger in the North. And now that you've opened the Southern Portal, your energy is stronger as well."

"With both the Northern and Southern Portals open...the world will finally be in balance once more." I said with a small smile. "Our tribes will be united again."

"The world will be united again." Uncle Unalaq corrected.

Later that day, Dad called a meeting of the Southern Tribe, Mum on one side with me and Korra on the other

Later that day, Dad called a meeting of the Southern Tribe, Mum on one side with me and Korra on the other. "Thank you for coming, everyone." He started. "I know these last few days have been very troubling."

"Troubling?" All eyes turned to Varrick, who was helping himself to a plate of cookies. "Troubling is when I get that itchy rash that won't go away, and Zhu Li's not around to scratch it." I had to force myself not to cringe. "This is shocking. Nay, sickening! But these kale cookies? Opposite." He turned to his assistant. "Remind me to get the recipe later." Zhu Li nodded.

"What's your point, Varrick?"

"My point is, Unalaq's already booted our chieftains out of their palace. How long before he starts telling us what kind of cookies we can eat?"

"Probably a couple of days." Zhu Li replied.

"Rhetorical question, Zhu Li, you gotta keep up." Varrick turned to all of us gathered. "Not to mention, I've got a cargo ship full of halibut that's rotting thanks to this harbour lockdown." Varrik got mad. "Who wants to buy a ship full of stinking fish? Seriously, it's not rhetorical. I need to sell these fish."

"Chief Unalaq is here to help the South." Korra said, standing. "He wants to show us how to restore balance with the Spirits so they'll stop attacking."

"The only spirit I'm interested in restoring is our spirit of independence. Am I right, people?" Everyone started to get worked up, agreeing with him.

"All Unalaq is trying to do is make our tribes unified again."

"No, he wants control of our wealth. My wealth. And I like my wealth. If Unalaq doesn't pull his forces out, then we have no choice but to fight for our freedom!" Everyone started to get riled up again.