When Extremes Meet

After the events at the Sato estate, Mako, Bolin and Asami all took up Tenzin's offer to stay at Air Temple Island until the Equalist Movement blew over. Korra and the Airbending kids all joined me in waiting for the new arrivals, alongside Naga, Nuki and Saria. "You're finally here!" Ikki said excitedly. "Welcome to Air Temple Island! Your new home."

"Yes, welcome to my domain." Meelo declared, jabbing a thumb into his chest.

"Well, aren't you sweet, little monk child." Bolin greeted. Pabu lept from Bolin's shoulder and started to run around, weaving in between everyone's feet and playing with Saria. Meelo watched them and then pointed at Pabu.

"What's that fuzzy creature?"

"That is a Sire Ferret." Jinora started. "An arboreal mammal common to the bamboo forests of the central Earth Kingdom. In stark contrast, the Snow Ferret is a terrestrial creature that hibernates in caves and is found in both the North and South Pole."

"He's cute!" Ikki squealed and ran off to Pabu while Meelo air-bent himself up and landed on Naga's back.

"Yip yip! Fly sky bison! Fly!" Meelo cried, pulling Naga's ears.

"Thanks for sending the Air Acolytes to help us with the move." Mako said, approaching Korra and I.

"Yes, they've been amazing." Asami agreed. "Such tireless workers." The heiress didn't notice some of the Air Acolytes struggling with her bags.

"Oh, I thought you were only bringing a few things." Korra admitted.

"Trust me, it could have been worse." Mako stated.

"The bags aren't an issue." I assured. "Everyone here on the island wants you to feel welcome." As Pabu, Saria, Nuki and Naga played throughout the courtyard, the group made it's way toward the Air Temple. Meelo was practically grinning up at Asami.

"You're pretty, can I have some of your hair?" Meelo offered his hand up to Asami. Mako chuckled.

"Looks like I have some competition." He joked.

"And now for the grand tour." Ikki declared. She started to talk rapidly, pointing at each thing she said. "The flying bison sleep in those caves down there. And that's the temple Grandpa Aang built. And that's the greenhouse where we grow the vegetables we eat." She then grinned at everyone.

"I have a couple of questions." Bolin spoke up. "Is this an all-vegetarian island? Is that where you train Airbending? Do we have to wear Air Acolyte clothes? Do we each get our own sky bison? And final question, how many trees are on this island?" Ikki thought for a moment.

"Yes. Yes. No. No. Ten thousand five hundred and fifty-two." The brothers stared at her in mixed fear and awe.

"So, where are we going to be staying?" Mako asked.

"You're a boy." Meelo stated. "Boys have to stay on the boys' side."

"I'd be happy to show you to the men's dormitory." Jinora offered. She and Mako walked off.

"I'm a boy!" Bolin cheered and followed after his brother.

"Meelo, why don't you go with the boys too?" Korra suggested.

"We shall meet again soon, beautiful woman." Meelo stated, gazing up at Asami before running after his sister.

"Ikki and I can escort you to your room, Asami." I said.

"I'll go feed Naga and Nuki." Korra told me. I nodded, and she left with our Polar Bear dogs. Asami followed Ikki and I to the girls' dormitories.

"Asami, did you know Korra likes Mako?" Ikki wondered. My eyes widened.

"Ikki!" I scolded. "You can't just-" I was cut off by Asami.

"Oh, uh, I wasn't completely aware of that." Asami admitted. I took Asami's arm and pulled her towards her room, letting go only to open the door and gesture her inside. Asami smiled at me and walked in. I closed the door after her, right on Ikki's face.

"Hey!" Ikki protested.