Scared

As suggested by Samar in his letter, Samaira and Birju fled to London to find Ridant. Rajpal could not join them because he needed to take care of some matters back home. The execution of Kiaan and Yodha was not a usual Army case. It was overly abrupt with poor investigation and no trials. He had been investigating the case together with Amar Trivedi since the day of the execution. They were collecting every piece of puzzle that connected the dots in Samar's last mission.

The execution gave them another proof. They were just one step away to unveil the conspiracy.

“You knew about the execution, right? You knew the defendants were Samar and Darshan who had changed their names to Kiaan Bhardwaj and Yodha Vishwanath. Why didn't you tell me that they were being moved to our prison?” Rajpal raised his voice, building up the tension as he barged in Amar's office. “You should've told me. You made me sell my son to a bloody conspiracy!”

“Raj,” Amar got up from his seat. “You know we are not going to waste him. We need a big net to catch a big fish. Samar helped us to get them to take the bait. Now it's our part.”

Rajpal sighed. “But it should have not happened. I could've saved him. I could've overcome the pain within a couple of months. But Samaira— that poor girl…”

Amar walked his friend to a chair and managed to calm him down. He then took a seat beside him. “Pal, believe me, Samar didn't want to be saved. With his capabilities as a special forces commander, he could've fled the prison. But he didn't. We have been measuring him too low. Now, he proved himself just as you always wanted. We should not have to be weak for that.

“On the contrary, they gave us another hint to solve this investigation. We will press the Army chief to admit. We have enough proof to confront him now,” Amar pointed at a file on his desk. Rajpal knew exactly it was their covert mission file.

“It won't be easy. Those men did not look like Samar and Darshan. To the council, they are simply insurgency group leaders that need to be eliminated. And till now we still don't have proof of how they traveled back from—you said—the future. We don't even have proof of them being in the future.”

“I know someone who can provide the evidence. Just sign the paper.”

Long silence filled the room for a moment. Rajpal was rethinking his decision. He had a slight suspicion on Amar when he sounded so convinced about someone who would help them. But he needed to do this. He needed to know who was playing with his son's life and that was the most important thing now.

His fingers slowly grabbed a pen on the table then glanced at a paper. Once he gave out his signature, he knew he could not step back.

“What if the Chief refuses to be cooperative?” He said.

Amar offered the paper to his friend. “He will. Even if he won't, I know a way.”

Rajpal took a deep breath then read the paper once again. ‘Warrant — Summons To Witness’ was written on the top of it. He was about to authorize a summon of the Army chief regarding the execution and the conspiracy. This warrant would definitely raise a voice between his fellow armed forces men. He must prepare the answer.

He sat straight, clicked the pen, then signed the paper without thinking once again. Amar smiled contentedly.

“That is the benefit of this office, Defense Minister saab,” Amar said.

Rajpal rose from his chair and nodded. Before he left the room, he made sure there were no unclear perceptions between them.

“Acting Defense Minister.”

**

Breakfast time never felt so boring before. Kiaan, Ishani, Yodha, and Kavya only stared at each other while eating their egg toast. The sun shone bright outside, its rays were peeking through the trees though it was still not able to make them feel warm. Today was the battle day. They could not escape it only because of a weather matter.