Parallel

Samaira, Birju, and Rajpal arrived at the Army headquarters in time. They were greeted by a corporal who guided the gate.

"Good morning, General. They will start the procession shortly. They are in the field."

Samaira knew where it was. She ran as fast as he could to the site. Rajpal and Birju ran after her while calling her to stop. But Samaira did not care about that. She only wanted to confirm her suspicion. She did not want the man who would be executed shortly to be her father, the man whose return she had been waiting for. Several guards were trying to hold her but she was too fast. There was a door leading to the field which was guarded by the Army privateers. They took a hold of Samaira just when she was about to break through the door.

"Let me through! Let me!" Samaira shouted loudly while trying to wriggle in the private's hands.

Rajpal and Birju were immediately caught up with her. An expression of anger clearly drawn on Rajpal's face seeing his granddaughter to be mistreated by the soldiers.

"Put your hands off her and let us through!" Rajpal said. But the two privates just looked at each other confusedly.

"Pardon me, sir. But it is for the Generals only. Outsiders are not allowed."

"She is not an outsider! She is my granddaughter! Who is your superior? I will recommend your names for demotion because you disobey my order!"

While her grandfather argued with the privates, Samaira used the situation to break free from their hands and ran through the door. There was a large field in front of her eyes with a group of firing squad facing a wall where two men stood against it. Their hands were handcuffed to their backs. Samaira fixed her focus on the men's ruined faces to recognize them. She did not know who the man standing on the left was. But the right one immediately turned to her side when the metal door was opened. He threw a faint smile at her, which she recognized that it could only be his father's smile.

"Papa! Papa, it is me!"

Samaira ran down the stairs but the guards caught her quickly. She tried to wriggle again but this time they were too many. Rajpal and Birju also took a hold of her, preventing her from ruining the ongoing execution.

"Samaira, calm down! He is not your father!" Rajpal wrapped his hands around Samaira to get her calmed. Samaira still tried to break free but her guard melted down when she locked into an eye-contact with her father down there.

"Gentlemen, we are now seeing the traitors of our country. They are the players behind every bullet that pierced the heart of our soldiers. They are the reason why we are still at war with terrorists. They have been playing with us for so long. And, to give them an appropriate response to their treason, the High Court ordered a severe punishment for them. This is what happens if you break the rule."

A top general spoke from the speaker. Samaira did not know why, but she felt her heart hurt to listen to it. As if someone crushed it from the inside until it got nothing left. She kept screaming while still making eye contact with the man. Her eyes swelled up from her helplessness. She could have saved that man, but she was not strong enough compared to the power holding her down.

"That is my dad! Stop! He is not a traitor!" She turned her head to her grandfather, looking at him pleadingly. "Dada, save them, please. I need to confirm that he is my dad. I need to meet him. Please..."

Rajpal shook his head. He grabbed the poor girl's face and wiped her tears. "Samaira, he is not our Samar. I will build a necessary investigation regarding the men. But we can't intervene now."

"No! I want them to be free now!" Samaira said. Rajpal could only hug her while the guards were standing back. Samaira screamed her heart out, sobbing in her grandpa's arms as the firing squad proceed to do the execution. The old man with white beard and white hair down there still looking at her. His smile did not fade though his end was approaching.