Future?

Samar only shook his head when Darshan asked him about the flat cap and went straight to Mahika in the kitchen. It surprised him when he got there because that part of the house was fully furnished too. It was a modern kitchen with a bar, tea pot, and even a microwave. The shelves were full of food ingredients and snacks. He already expected it was going to be an outdated house with traditional cooking utensils. Turned out he was wrong.

“Dear God... They give us a fridge too!” Samar exclaimed as he walked in to see it. Mahika was already busy with a pack of chocolate biscuits and milk she got from the fridge.

“And fully loaded. I'm warming up four biryani in the microwave before they cut the electricity,” She said with full mouth.

“Huh? But aren't we supposed to not cook?” Samar walked to the fridge to see how much they got. It was not much but all they needed were there. The first thing that attracted his eyes were two crates of beers. He immediately remembered his promise to Darshan when they were at sea.

“Microwaves don't create smoke. I believe they don't want us to cook because we need to avoid smoke that could attract unwanted attention. Oh, there is wine too if you are asking. Here,” Mahika pulled the drawer on the kitchen table and showed lines of wine bottles. Samar almost dropped to the ground from a sudden mini heart attack. It was a lot more than he could imagine!

“I got the candles!” Darshan barged in the kitchen with a box full of candles and the flat cap in his head. He stared at Samar and Mahika in confusion while the two stared at him in shock. “What happened?”

Samar waved his hand, gesturing to him to see it himself. He put down the box and followed what Samar said. He still had the frown in his head. But when Samar made him look at the wine, his jaw dropped for a few seconds.

“Holy fucking shit.”

Samar smiled then pointed to the fridge. “As I promised. Take as many as you want.”

Darshan stared at the beers as if he was staring at his bride on their wedding day. If it was a movie, a classic Hindi song would play in the background with bubbles flying around him. An ear-to-ear smile appeared on his face. A satisfying smile. He knew his decision to believe that young mysterious man was the right one.

“Yeh party hai, Major! Party!” Darshan happily hugged Samar and they all cheered together. The last month was a very tough and tiring journey. They rode on a rollercoaster since the first day their ship sank, had restless nights while being lost at high sea, stranded on a strange island, met strange people, faced bombardment, with barely good food and good mood. After facing all that, they finally would live the best, true and real days of their lives. They were the real winners.

TING!

The sound from the microwave brought Samar back to his La La Land. He jolted in surprise and remembered why he was there. He gave Mahika a look and she pointed at the right shelf. There were two boxes, one for first aid and one for the medicines. He took the latter and rushed over to Ruhani, forgetting about the biryani.

**

The sun set earlier than everyone thought. As the note mentioned, the electricity went down at five p.m. Darshan had lit some candles before the day turned dark. The quartet were enjoying the biryani as the moon rose in the sky. It was their first time eating good food again and they enjoyed it so much. Darshan and Mahika chose to eat in the kitchen while Samar took care of the sick Ruhani.

Haye Bhagwan... My stomach is spinning too,” Ruhani said as Samar helped her to lean on the bed.

“Are you h— Oh wait, I forgot the biryani,” Samar went back to the kitchen to get the biryani. Ruhani only frowned when Samar mentioned “biryani”. When her friends were cheering for their victory, she had no idea about it. The dizziness and the growling stomach kept her busy since they stepped into the house.