House

“Such a relief to see you back in shape,” An old man with stars in his shoulders said to Rajpal. Amar Trivedi, his birth name, was a war brother to Rajpal when they were assigned to the same company during the Bangladesh independence war in 1965. They fought the war from the beginning until it ended. They crossed the Rann of Kutch together, slept in the same foxhole while the enemy's artillery fire sang them a lullaby. Someone really said that the brotherhood which was made in the war is unbreakable and it was what happened with Rajpal and Amar. After the war, they got promoted to higher officers and got post in land. They got to work together again when the Kargil war happened, but this time as the infantry division field commanders.

“Back in shape, back into service,” Rajpal sighed while laughing sarcastically. “In a condition where those top generals are losing their minds, India needs as many hands as possible to prevent the unwanted.”

“Correct,” Amar offered a glass of espresso to Rajpal which he rejected politely.

“Where is Samaira? Isn't she supposed to pick you up?” He asked again as his mate put on the jacket. His adjutant was busy packing up his things into a bag which actually was not his job. But his personal nurse was taking some day leaves back to her village for family matters. He needed to take care of himself until she came back.

“On her way. She'll be here right away,” Rajpal answered.

Amar nodded and then looked down to his coffee. “You know, Raj, it has been a long time since we talked. Mind if I ask you for a quick walk?”

Rajpal turned at him with a smirk. “I don't even remember the last time you called me Raj. Is it going to be that important?”

“I don't know. Kind of?” Amar got up from his chair and walked through the door. Rajpal followed him behind. They directed their steps towards the hospital park.

“Have you thought about that offer?” Amar opened the conversation as they walked in the hospital gazebo, where the oldies were spending time with their caretakers holding their bowl of food.

“To replace the defense minister? I still doubt it,” Rajpal kept his hands inside his pants pockets. “Well, earlier I was excited. But now, after what happened to my son, I doubt it. I don't want to shift my attention yet to another matter.”

“You used to be a more political soldier and less tolerant to your son. I am actually surprised to hear that coming out from your mouth.”

“His sudden disappearance actually hit me hard,” Rajpal chose not to elaborate the details. He wanted to free his head from the thought. “What makes you bring me here?”

Amar sighed a deep breath. It made Rajpal look at him in confusion. They sat down on a bench and started the heavy conversation. Heavier, even, when Rajpal knew he had to hide it from Samaira until the date she was supposed to read the letter.

“Your son, Samar... They have him.”

“What do you mean?” Rajpal could not explain this feeling. The heart was indeed beating fast, but he did not know yet what caused it. He was already on the stage of accepting Samar's disappearance. He needed time to accept other life-turning facts.

“The Eleven Brothers. You are right, they are here. Our agent confirmed it. They managed to detain Samar and his friend Darshan Advani.”

Rajpal frowned. There were some missing parts that he needed to know. The circumstances between The Eleven Brothers' disappearance and their sudden appearance just did not make sense. They were declared lost along with Samar and Darshan in that ship accident but today he heard they were being found with them detaining the two men?