Chapter 34 | Mon Amie La Reine

When the Royal Carriage and posse arrived to the Convent, we were greeted warmly by the Sisters.

"It's a honor to have you here, Your Majesty." Mother Superior and her fellow worshippers bowed before her. The Queen caught up with the Sisters, whom she's seemed to have grown an acquaintance with over the past few years. Or so I'm told.

Athos instructs Aramis and I and two other Musketeers to escort the Queen to her room. We are lead by Mother Superior and trailed by the Quewns Lady's maids. I spotted Constance among them. She gave a polite smile.

Aramis seemed a bit absent minded as we walked, but he's been acting weird since we first arrived at the Convent. I was not very religious myself, but Aramis seemed quite  faith fearing at certain moments. He had a beautiful rosary always displayed around his neck.

"Here you are my Lady, you'll find some plain clothes in the drawer. When you are changed, we'll eat lunch and begin the first day of the Ritual." Mother Superior bows once more before leaving us.

Aramis and I walk in first and inspect the room. Once cleared, we exit and allow the Queen and her lady's maids in.

"Might I have a word with you?" I hear the queen say.

She's looking at me. She motions me back into her room. I do as I'm asked.

"Yes, your Majesty?"

"I think my thank you is long overdue. I hope you except it all the same. Thank you for saving my life. I know from that act of Bravery, you are the perfect candidate for a Musketeer. And I must say it pleases me greatly to see a Woman in such an esteemed position."

"I am just happy I could be there to help you."

"Yes, though I must say my nerves have not completely settled from the event. My Husband informs me that the man is still unknown."

"I assure you, you couldn't be in better hands. I have known no braver men than the ones I stand by."

"I'm sure you're right." She takes a breathe.

I close the door behind me as I leave, so that she can change. Two guards are posted outside her door, Aramis and I rejoin Athos downstairs.

"The Queen is settled in her room." I explain to him.

He nods and begins giving the men orders on where to stand guard. We go on about our Tasks and after lunch We escort the Queen and the Sisters down to the Fertility lake. As the Sisters begin, we all find places to watch out.

Aramis takes a deep breath and smiles "Quiet, fresh air and the wonderful sun. This will be quite relaxing indeed."

"You enjoy this?"

He leans back and closes his eyes "I'm a very peaceful person, this is my domain."

Athos gives me a look that tells me that's not completely true. I bite back a laugh and take in the scenery.

The next two days go by quickly and the exact same as the one before. On the third day however, the mood between the men has changed. Especially in Aramis.

He swats the air angrily "These damned pests! Leave me be!"

"I thought this was supposed to be peaceful?"

He narrows his eyes at me "That was two days and 200 flies ago." He trots off, trying to be freed from the flies circling him.

Athos and I are sitting leaned against a trunk of a tree.

"Is he always in such high spirits?"

Athos chuckles "Just about."

I liked his laugh. Rarely heard, it seemed like a treat to earn one.

"Aramis and I agree on one thing. This trip has been rather Quiet. Not quite what I pictured when I thought of a Musketeer."

"There is much action in the position, I suggest enjoying the quiet days when you can. War is brewing and there is no such thing as silence in it."

I hear a large crack!

I hold my finger up to my lips, signaling to Athos to listen.

We both take a moment to listen, and sure enough, some more rustling in the distance.

Athos and I look around.

He leans in closer to me and whispers "up the hill to your left."

I follow his coordinates, and sure enough there's a figure crouched in the bushes up on the hill. Wearing the same outfit from the day at the Palace.

"You and the Men go to the Queen." He instructs me.

I get up to move but freeze.

I put my hand on Athos arm, and jerk my head towards surrounding trees. About 15 meant line the trees. Guns in their hands.

All sense of calm vanished from his voice.

"Men, sheild the Queen. We are under attack!"