Chapter 21 | Le Seigneur Sans Nom

The morning felt fresh as the cool wind drifted in from the cracked window. I went downstairs and am handed a hot plate of food from Charles. As we ate, there was a knock on the door. Mr Bonacieux went to answer it. As he came back into the room, he was glowing with joy. For how little I knew of the old man, Ive decided that I have not seen any man as cheerful as he.

"Good news?" I ask.

"The best. As you know my daughter is a ladies maid for Queen Anne. It seems the Prince is throwing a party and she is in need of fabrics for a new dress. I must bring all my most regal ones. I'll need help, would you two be able to assist me?"

Charles looks to me and I shrug a "sure".

Our strength was tested as we hauled the bundles and bundles...and bundles of fabrics into the cart. When we finished stocking the wagon, we piled in and went on our way. Charles was giddy with wonder as the Castle came into view. I of course knew of our Royal court, but I'd never imagined I'd ever see it so I rarely harped on the subject.  The castle was grand and overbearing, as I imagine most are. Various guard stood at the side gate, they searched us and the cart before letting us through. We were met with a woman with reddish brown hair. Her dress was a rich muted pink silk. Not adorned enough to be regal but just so that you knew she was close to the royals.

"Father!" The woman exclaimed. She threw her arms around him.

When she pulled away she turns to us.

Mr Bonacieux introduces us.

"Constance, these are some new friends and boarders of mine. Charles & Daria La Vielle."

She smiles and I hear Charles moving. I look beside me and see him standing up taller. He was an inch taller than me but it hardly showed. He was trying to look taller for her. She seemed to be amused by the move too.

I hold back a laugh and clear my throat as we begin being led down various halls and up marbled flights of stairs. The fabrics I was holding, were hard to hold since the silks practically slipped off eachother.
Courtier's gave us passive glances if any at all.

We arrive at the Queen apartments and are once again searched by guards, I drop some of the rolls of fabric on the ground. I scurry to pick them up as the rest of the group go through to the room. I have all of them expect one, which rolled farther than the rest. Before my hand can grasp it, someone else's grasps it. When I look up, I'm met face to face with a man. He's dressed in a dark royal blue suit.

"Thank you." I curtsey. When I stand up i take the roll from his hands and turn. I feel a hand on my arm.

"Wait. What's your name?" The man asks. His face is warmly lit, his tanned skin a drastic change from the rest of the courts, deadly white pasty shade. Unlike them awsell, had his soft kind features. He was looking me in the eye as he spoke, something the Cortiers avoided.

"Why?"

"I want a dress made." He jokes. Motioning to the fabrics.

"Well I can't help you with that. I only know how to patch things, and these" I hold the Fabrics up "Are for only the finest ladies in court."

"What about the Fine ladies out of court?"

Before I can respond, Charles pops his head out the door.

"Daria, hurry the Queen is almost here!" He urges me.

"Coming!" I cursety a goodbye to the man. I turn on my heel and walk towards the room again.

I'm almost out of earshot when I hear the man's voice again.

"Goodbye, Daria."