Chapter 33 | La Lettre Des Seigneurs

My first days was very boring indeed. I was posted at the front of the Garrison. And again so everyday for the remaining week. Treville said it would be best if I stayed from the Palace, and close by in case another attempt on me was made. It was his opinion that I should push back my start day entirely but I talked him into staying nearby instead. It vexed me greatly however, that I was once again confined to one area. True it was bigger but the other Musketeers shunned me unless Instructed otherwise. The very guard who stood just a few feet away, on guard of the other side of the gate, refused to interact with me. I had been sitting on my hands far too long. I had tried, truely tried to keep my head down but I would take no more. When my shift was over, I stormed into my room, determined. Not even a minute later, a knock at the door.

"A Letter for a Miss La Vielle?" A young man's voice called from outside.

I open the door and he places the letter into my hand. Closing the door again, I inspect the envelope.

No return adress, just mine and my name. Cautiously I open the letter.

It reads as follows:

Dear Miss La Vielle,

I hope this letter finds you well. I meant to write you sooner to congratulate you on your successful Duel & becoming a new addition to The Kings Musketeers. I can think of no one more deserving.

I was informed by the King of your attempted assasination, and fear I am to blame. I am very glad of your quick recovery. While I did not give your name when speaking to him. I suspect he had another find you. If this circumstance is correct, it means you may still be a target. I understand if you wish to give up the investigation, as it has put you in danger. If however, you find yourself still up for the challege, I have developed a plan that could use your assistance. The king is holding a Masquerade, and I would be honored if you would attend as my personal guest. Please reply with your answer as soon as convenient and I will send further details.

Warm Regards,
Viscount De Rohan

I penned my reply immediately, finding a messenger as soon as the wax dried. No more of this waiting game. I will not allow my life and potentially the life of my Brother and Friends, be at the mercy of the Cardinals own men.

I got ready that day, and headed to my usual position at the gate.

Athos, Aramis and Porthos haven't spoke to me much over the week, though I guess they had no reason to. We were comrade sure, but friends? I wasn't so sure. The days had become so isolating, I had gotten use to eating in my room and sketching. Something I enjoyed to do in what little free time I had. Charles had gotten a job at a bookshop in town. Everything had settled. Paris was feeling more like home.

After about and hour...

"Daria! In my office!" Treville shouted down at me from his balcony.

Someone came to take my place. I made my way up to his office, trying to figure out what it was I had done now.

"Yes, Captain?"

"Shut the door." Treville instructs as I enter. I do.

He motions for me to take a seat.

He's staring down at some papers.

"How is everything?" The question throws me a bit off guard. Though it's only been about a week since I've started, I learned quickly Treville is a very hardend indivual. No doubt from his years and experience. He is a man who doesn't need to earn respect, as much as everyone gives it willingly.

"Oh, fine."

He doesn't believe me. The filter comes off.

"The men won't speak to me, and my talents are being wasted guarding the gate."

He laughs.

"I like you. I really do Daria. I didn't agree to this arrangement simply because the King asked. I was told of your potential before we even met."

"How so sir?"

He leans back in his chair.

"I was made known of your arrival from the first day you moved here. Aramis and Porthos were recounting the events to the entire yard. Athos added in his part of the story later. You made quite the impression on them. As much as the men out there would like to deny it, they were intrigued by the scene. If the fight is entertaining enough, the Sex of the opponent means nothing. They were impressed, but that also scares them. If you can be better, they have to be better. They feel their honor is being diminished due to a Woman putting her efforts where they are not wanted."

A male being insecure about his dignity? What a very rare event indeed.

"But now that we are all caught up. I have an assignment for you."

"Really?" I sit up straight in my chair.

"The Queen is to go visit a Convent near the River of Fertility. I was originally sending a few of my other men, with Athos and Aramis heading the group. When I went to see the Majesty's this morning, The Queen insisted you be among the group. You leave within the hour."

"Thank you sir."

"I didn't do a thing. You earned have the Queens trust by your own merit."

He dismisses me and I hurry down to saddle Shakespeare.

A few other men were already securing their watches to the saddle when they saw me following suit.

"Where do you think you're going?" One of them asks.

I grit a smile "Same place as you, I'd guess."

"Hell you are." The guy raises his voice.

"Is there a Problem?" Aramis walks into the Stables.

"Are you really going allow this Wench to defend the Queen?"

"I don't know, Daria what do you think?" He throws me a daring glance.

"Well let's see. I've saved the Queen from an attempt on her life, while I was just a civilian. And you?" I ask the Musketeer.

"Well one time the King stepped in some mud, and he wiped it from his shoe." Aramis tells me.

"Ah well, then we're are about equally matched. The Queen couldn't be in better hands."

"Agreed."

The Musketeer doesn't say anything to our banter, just mutters under his breath and returns to his tasks.

"So, big first assignment." Aramis helps me secure the straps onto Shakespeare.

"Yeah."

"Are you alright, Daria?"

"Couldn't be better."

He doesn't press. Everyone finishes getting ready and gets onto their horses.

We all line our horses up, Aramis as lead. A few minutes later Athos rides up and places his horse next to Aramis's.

He leans over and whispers something to him. Aramis looks back at me, before turning back facing forward.

What did he say?

Athos signals for everyone to start moving and we head to the Palace.