Chapter 32 | Enfin Chez-Soi

I spent the next two days in the Hospice, Athos didn't visit again. Not that I should be suprised. He and the other Musketeers were very busy. That's what I liked to tell myself atleast. Charles spent much of the day with me there however, bringing me soups and telling stories he's heard about me while out and about towns Mr Bonacieux was there to help me home on my last day, while the position was flushed from my system, it had left me very weak. I was practically fully recovered and ready for my first day.

Tommorow I'd be sworn in, I'd be a Musketeer. The title never held the weight on me until right now. As much as I tried to make it sound unimpressive, this was no easy feat. I had earned it, for myself.

Later that night Mr Bonacieux and Charles bought some ale for us to celebrate, toasting to my victory.

"To the Female Musketeer!" Charles shout.

We cheered and clinked glasses. Charles had made us all a miniature feast.

"So, how are you feeling?" Charles asks me, biting into his chicken leg.

I pop a grape in my mouth and give him an exasperated look.

"It has been quite the week Charles, I'll need you to be a bit more specific."

He tone was more serious this time, almost angry. Not at me directly but I could tell he was upset, trying to hide the worry.

"I almost lost you, I just want to make sure you're alright. "

I grab his hand

"I'm fine, better than ever."

Though his worry doesn't seem completely gone, he moves on to his usual joking manner.

While almost dying wasn't in my plans, it gave me a lot of motivation. Something I'd been short on as of late. Despite what Athos said, I couldn't keep out of this. Someone tried to come after me. If was the Cardinal, I'd have to find proof. With a man so powerful I'd need something strong. Proving a possible poison could help, but Pierre had given me something more to work with. If Richelieu had a hand in his brother death, that's treason and murder.

I pushed away my plotting for the night. Letting myself enjoy the coompany of a dear brother and friend. Bonacieux had pulled out a parchment wrapped present for me.

When I open it, I'm in awe. It's a dark black leather jacket with blue adornments.

"Mr Bonacieux this is far too kind of you."

He holds up his hand, something he did quite often if you said something he disagreed with.

"You must accept it, if only to please this old man's heart." He clutches his chest.

He likes to play the frail old man card far too much, but I was determined to let him. His character matched my Fathers greatly, which warmed my heart all the more when I tried it on for them. The cool leather fit me perfectly.

We finish eating and drinking and retire to our rooms.

After two hours of laying in bed, I'm still awake. Worry clawing away at my mind. I spent most of the night trying to plot someone halfway plan. I knew I needed to find that Woman, she must be linked to Richelieu somehow. She didn't look like someone who stumbled upon a dead body, she was looking for something specific. Athos would not tell me what he found, but he wasn't the only one at the scene that night.

I manage to get a few hours of sleep before the morning creeps its way into the room. I pack my bags and bring them downstairs. Charles had Breakfast already on the table when I met him in the kitchen.

He peers down at the bags in my hand.
"So you're really going huh?"

"Gonna miss me, Big Brother?"